ASHP and Hard Water - do we need to soften/condition

DeanAlan

Hi folks,

We have an Ecodan R32 ASHP on order for a couple of months from now and starting to look at water softeners and conditionares.

Are ASHP any more vulnerable / tolerable of hard water than more conventional boilers?

Any specific advice or experience on this topic?

Water softeners or conditions seems like a minefield on its own given some of the research and bold claims out there for various devices.

The lower temperature that the heat pump may be working at will increase the time it takes for scale to form in the cylinder, but form it will.

Get the best water softener you can. Having lived in Buckinghamshire, where tap water has chalk in it my default, a water softener is a cheap option.

Thanks @SteamyTea

I've looked around and on this website and possibly something like a Harvey dual tank system (circa £1K) is a good idea. We're in Cambridge and the water is pretty darn hard. More than ASHP my wife loves the shiny hair she had from down in Somerset recently - a happy wife is worth far more than the longevity on the ASHP but if I can get both....

Thanks

- Dean

Take a look at Dualflo. I believe they're made by Harvey and may even be rebadged Harvey softeners.

They're meant for trade purchasers, so if you have a friendly plumber who'd be willing to buy on your behalf, you could save some cash.