New Arrival

DNA

17 hours ago, DNA said:

Have you got any section details of your roof Dave as it sounds very effective. Not sure if I've the room to fit it in but it sounds a good solution

I couldn't find a drawing that showed it well, so pictures and a description is better.

It's a cut roof framed on site, hung from a bog Kurto ridge beam, using 195 by 45mm timbers for the rafters.

roof_5.thumb.jpg.a0e4640c07fe491a93bfd086715717a6.jpg

That then got clad with 100mm wood fibre board acting as a sarking board (a BR requirement in Scotland) and then a non tenting breathable membrane, counter battens then tile battens then tiles.

roof_10.thumb.jpg.a98f9f34aac7ec46158f4c8ea0a131f5.jpg

Later It was insulated from the inside using Frametherm 35 fitted from below, then a layer of OSB

roof_insulation_8.thumb.jpg.b82b60ba3de044783fc37968d21f85a5.jpg

Finally it will get covered in airtight membrane, battens to form a service void, then plasterboard. That's what I am working on at the moment.

Originally I was going to use blown in insulation, until I found out the cost.  I then worked out Earthwool Frametherm 35 had the same insulation U value, was less than half the price, and was a DIY job rather than having to get someone in to blow in the insulation, so I could do it at my own pace bit by bit.

Regarding timber floors. What is it you don't like. Mine are 300mm JJI I beams with 300mm of Frametherm 35 in them. They will have UFH before the final flooring.  My builder did his best to convince me to have a sold floor but it would have been a lot of material to import and pay for to build up the ground, and it would have forced me to make decisions on the exact layout of some rooms to lay in the drainage at that stage, again I preferred to leave those decisions until I was ready, something you have the luxury of being able to do with a timber floor.

• Like 1