Disabled access ramp.

Just now, Russell griffiths said:

I’ve read that one @Onoff but isn’t there a clear diagram somewhere, i just find it more confusing than it should be. 

But I am a bit slow, not like @nod who is the forum ninja. 

My wife thought I’d catch it and release it in the woods 

I said it would come back with its pals 

She replied take it to some else’s woods then 

Bit late now ?

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I’ve read that one @Onoff but isn’t there a clear diagram somewhere, i just find it more confusing than it should be. 

But I am a bit slow, not like @nod who is the forum ninja. 

I think I have the diagram at work, maybe in an earlier Part M? Won't be able to look until Monday.

I had to make a removable wheelchair ramp a while back to keep the fire office happy. All TIG'd ali to suit the asphalted, laid to falls, floor.

Lots to consider..

Top square in front of door 1200 by 1200mm, but off set so wheelchair user can reach lock. edging to stop wheelchair rolling off and handrail.

Ramp design depends on the height difference between the level access at the door and where the ramp terminates and how long the ramp will need to be.  

If it is very steep then the design will change.

AND everything else I have got wrong or omitted, which someone will correct me on...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Anybody else got anything, help this bloke out. 

The detailed dimensions depend on if it has to be a Category 1 "visitable house" or Category 2 "Accessible and adaptable dwelling". Think that depends on your planning permission . Cat 1 is less onerous than Cat 2.  

I think the following meet most of Category 2. 

Minimum clear opening width 850mm so likely to be an 900mm wide door minimum. (775mm and 800mm door for cat 1).

A flat square 1500 x 1500 outside the door (1200 x 1200 cat 1).

A ramp/path 1200mm wide.

Slope depends on the height but they suggest between 1:12 and 1:20. If you keep it below 1:20 you can go up 500mm in one go over 10m . Steeper ramps like 1:12 is limited to 166mm over 2m before you need "resting places". There is a chart in Part M page 12. 

If any of that not possible then you have to look at the details of Approved Doc Part M.

Edited by Temp