Stud partitions

Arnold9801

I got a lot of stud partition walls to make upstairs on our new build. After erecting the 4x2 frames I am thinking of boarding them with 11mm sob as I don’t like  placing plaster boards direct on the studs.

Would you say  that 11mm is a suitable thickness? I would like to go next thickness up but due to the amount I require and the current prices I feel 11mm is a suitable option.

Arnold9801

21 minutes ago, Arnold9801 said:

I got a lot of stud partition walls to make upstairs on our new build. After erecting the 4x2 frames I am thinking of boarding them with 11mm sob as I don’t like  placing plaster boards direct on the studs.

Would you say  that 11mm is a suitable thickness? I would like to go next thickness up but due to the amount I require and the current prices I feel 11mm is a suitable option.

Arnold9801

I used 11mm OSB behind my plasterboard in the kitchen and all units fixed fine.

Unless you have something very demanding if your using 11mm OSB should easily be OK.

OSB is not dimensionally stable, it can swell, expand and in extreme circumstances bow or”bubble”. If it gets wet it will be a problem, if the house gets damp or steamed up plasterboard is quite forgiving of one off water events, OSB not so forgiving, it is capable of moving studs, even pushing blockwork. I would leave expansion gaps, fit additional noggins. 

9 hours ago, nod said:

Just curious 

Why don’t you like placing plasterboards directly onto stud walls 

Why not just use Habito plasterboard 

Better to fix to than OSB 

Much stronger 

man’s at about £20 per sheet 

Much cheaper than using both