Who does thermal modification?

eandg

I can potentially get access to enough cut poplar trees which, as I understand it, can make for pretty good and nice looking cladding when thermally modified. I just can't seem, through some google searching, to find someone who would do the thermal modification or an approximate cost for this work. Any ideas?

26 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

There is a large difference between the price of Thermowood and Pine and I guess this is reflected in the cost of baking it.  Don't underestimate the transport, handling and storage costs.

Noted, thanks - just looking to test whether there's a big margin that may be better in my pocket than a merchant's. 

When we lived in Sussex I tried to get some reclaimed flooring kiln dried to speed things up. No one would do it as they were making full use of their kilns for themselves. I suspect they would need a large quantity to even consider it & then jack the price up, particularly given the demand for materials atm. 

Astern timber are in the process of building their own kiln for this. 
they do lots of thermally modified timber. 
however suppling your own trees will not save you much. 
if you think a sawmill will pay about £1200 for an article load of poplar, then that is your only saving, you still need to transport it, cut it, then heat modification, then cut again, then transport back. 
unless you have all the kit to do this yourself then I don’t think it’s an idea. 

it’s like saying I have a load of clay can someone turn it into bricks for me. 
the raw materials are a very small percentage of the overall price. 

5 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Astern timber are in the process of building their own kiln for this. 
they do lots of thermally modified timber. 
however suppling your own trees will not save you much. 
if you think a sawmill will pay about £1200 for an article load of poplar, then that is your only saving, you still need to transport it, cut it, then heat modification, then cut again, then transport back. 
unless you have all the kit to do this yourself then I don’t think it’s an idea. 

it’s like saying I have a load of clay can someone turn it into bricks for me. 
the raw materials are a very small percentage of the overall price. 

I can have it milled free through family - the joys of old men not wanting to spend any of their retirement with their wives.