Minimum distance from corner to window

WWilts

2.1m wide window on upper floor of 2 storey new build. Hip roof trusses.

Want to move window as near the corner as possible.

Is there a minimum distance required from the corner?
Are there considerations other than sufficient bearing for a heavy duty Catnic-type lintel near the corner?

4 minutes ago, WWilts said:

Want to move window as near the corner as possible.

Will require planning / NMA

4 minutes ago, WWilts said:

Is there a minimum distance required from the corner?

As much as is needed for the bearing of the lintel by the engineer - but I would want internal 300mm

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I would want internal 300mm

why so?
100mm block inner leaf width + internal length of block (200mm) till window opening = 300mm?
Trying to understand the principles involved

Edited by WWilts

Because I very much doubt you’ll get a SEng to agree to balance the end of a 2.3m long lintel plus the hip rafter load onto a single skin block wall that has no lateral restraint by any sort of return blockwork

300mm return would broadly be a full block return with the overlap of the internal block skin which is the real minimum I would accept with a roof load and that size opening. 

You need to speak to your engineer and get their view though as they may want a steel portal around the whole opening. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

Because I very much doubt you’ll get a SEng to agree to balance the end of a 2.3m long lintel plus the hip rafter load onto a single skin block wall that has no lateral restraint by any sort of return blockwork

True. Window opening must be min 665mm from external corner in this particular context. 365mm measured internally

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

300mm return would broadly be a full block return with the overlap of the internal block skin which is the real minimum I would accept with a roof load and that size opening. 

You need to speak to your engineer and get their view though as they may want a steel portal around the whole opening. 

To add to PeterW's contribution.. sorry.. but to put a further spanner in the works you also need to look at global stability of the walls. The wall panels need to resist horizontal wind loading so that part of it needs consideration.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

The wall panels need to resist horizontal wind loading so that part of it needs consideration.

True, for window openings any nearer a corner, a "wind post" might need to be incorporated into the design according to SE

Edited by WWilts