Nails v Hooks

nod

On our previous build we nailed all the slates We have trees to three sides so not particularly exposed 

Our next build whilst only ten minutes away is the opposite Fields to three sides 

So looking for opinions (pictures) from those who have hooks 

My wife is against hooks as she thinks they will be unsightly I think she just enjoyed helping me nail the slates on

I was talking to a couple of roofers in Cumbria and they use them most of the time and while I could see the hook They looks fine to me 

Nail or hook are more a regional thing aren't they?  Your wife is normally right - and if you do it differently and it goes wrong she will remind you for ever.

Are you installing yourself?  If so you make the choice, or your wife may do, if you getting someone else to install go with their choice, or the issue is your if the wind come from the wrong direct any any fall off.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments 

Yes we will instal ourselves 

We hadn’t intended installing last time But the quotes where coming in around 10k for the Labour 

I suppose one advantage with hooks is they are held in three places 

• 1 month later...

just dropping back in after a good while away, saw this post, i agree with @joe90, can't see them unless looking hard. i had my roof hooked on and it's great. takes longer to set out but you save time in the fitting. there is also less chance of breaking due to overnailing as per another post asking how tight to nail. the other plus point is with having to double nail, replacement is almost impossible, however, bend a hook, slide out slate and replace. one thing i have found is that when replacing one, sliding it in on top of a slate ripper makes it easier to place the head over the counter battens. i would also suggest you don't need to keep the required overlap as the tail can't lift so would save in the quantities required.

20210524_142950.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

with having to double nail, replacement is almost impossible, however, bend a hook, slide out slate and replace.

I have these. Stainless Steel - bending is very difficult without putting what seems like too much force on the head of the slate below. Any tips?