Joining Egger T&G boards

PeterW

Quick question....

With a fully glued T&G board such as an Egger protect board, does the short joint always have to land on a joist ...??  Or if there is perpendicular noggin under the joint does that suffice ..?

If it's gd quality t&g flooring the short end doesn't have to rest on a joist. When it's all glued up you won't be able to tell any difference between on a joist or a join in the middle of 2. It should all be rock solid. Mine where 400mm joist spacing.

Edited by Declan52
  • Like 2

It's mostly 600 but there are a couple of places towards the walls where it gets less - makes it easier to start a second run if the join is in the gap but not worrying as I've got lots of Egger as I think the joist manufacturer slightly over estimated ...!

Yep thats the one @MikeSharp01..!

Also set them so we can use one as an edge noggin on at least one room - issue is we have 2 load bearing block walls coming up through the floor so it's been a bit fun..! Didn't realise either that the posi-joists would be 95mm wide ..!

Nice thing was that there is a "service run" right down the middle of the house ..!

image.thumb.jpg.0eabdbe06052ead8ac2af8c1e96bc69e.jpg

I only land the joints if it's 18mm flooring, but tbh I don't bother with 18mm flooring any more unless it's over joists at 300mm centres. 

22mm deck glued and fixed down properly will be rock solid regardless, as its no difference really between the long joint being unsupported between joists vs the short as they're t&g all round. There is a little argument if the joist are at 600mm centres, but that's rare as most TF houses I've seen have been 400mm anyway. I did one where the joists were at 600mm but the flooring didn't bother me, I was more worried about the huge amount of detectable deflection when bouncing on the floor :/  

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nice thing was that there is a "service run" right down the middle of the house ..!

Plumbers and sparks delight :)