New flat roof problems !

Bluefish

Hi

i have recently had a new flat roof installation on a new extension.

it’s a warm roof and the roofer has used a rubber membrane. Almost immediately we had a leak in two corners where the water enters the exit drains.

He came back and “fixed it” but in doing so has created a lip at the exit points which now retains sitting water. My guess is this sitting water is just a future problem ?

At present I haven’t paid for his work … what would you do..

1) Ask for it to be completely redone at his cost?

2) Given the standard of work so far cut losses and source another firm to redo it.

To date I have incurred additional costs of dehumidifiers and replastering work where the water has come in … should he be compensating for that?

Any input appreciated!

010C1B0D-B363-49AD-A738-4D6359FBD08B.jpeg

On 26/11/2021 at 16:13, Dave Jones said:

Accrediuted EDPM installers can offer firestone backed 10 year warranty, id insist on it before paying.

You can get this from doing a 1 day course so it means nothing. Also firestone is not the only brand of EPDM, they could have used something else.

• 1 month later...
On 26/11/2021 at 16:13, Dave Jones said:

pretty poor finish really, no attempt at doing the corners properly.

Accrediuted EDPM installers can offer firestone backed 10 year warranty, id insist on it before paying.

What is the build up of the roof, what vapour barrier was used ?

Unfortunately the 10 yr warranty is only on the material NOT on the installer's fitting of it. Plus lots of training companies insist you buy the material through them in order to get the warranty. 

I caught a Firestone trained EPDM fitter putting nails through a gathered fold of EPDM and then gluing an EPDM patch over the top of it instead of trimming the EPDM and gluing it flat.  Unfortunately, I only caught him at the end and it was too late to do anything about it. He covered the only thing with an edging strip to hide it from view. 

When I challenged him about it he said "Everyone does it".  I told him it's not right and he told me "Customers don't know what good looks like, so I get away with doing that.  It's on a raised edge and under a patch and an edging strip so no water is going to get into it."

This guy turned up to quote wearing Firestone branded T-shirts and then for the job he turned with two day labourers he hires from a local shelter and himself in different t-shirts.  He tried to strip and relay two flat roofs in a single day and spent the entire time on the roof and never looked at the side of the roof until the end. 

38 minutes ago, BobAJob said:

I caught a Firestone trained EPDM fitter putting nails through a gathered fold of EPDM and then gluing an EPDM patch over the top of it instead of trimming the EPDM and gluing it flat.

I'd have nailed him to the fascia and posted it on social media as a warning to others! ?