Caulking Between Skirting & Floor

steveoelliott

Hi,

I had a decorator do our hallway a couple of months back and unfortunately a lot of areas of caulking between the skirting and floor have cracked. There was caulking in place previously which had also cracked in a similar way. I understand there will be some movement / flex at play here. Is there a product / technique that can avoid this cracking?

I am not minded to contact the decorator regarding this as frankly I wouldn't be using him again owing to the amount of paint splatter (tiny little dots of paint) I keep finding on the floor and having to painstakingly remove.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Wood shrinks/moves just need more flexible caulk, mind it will shrink/move less the longer it’s been there.

Given the fact that movement both laterally and vertically is a possibility and caulks flexibility is limited, would a silicon sealer be better?

My reservation with this is the fact that it is often a pig to remove later, you can’t paint it and it attracts dust. Just wondered if there are any other options.

The trouble here is the gap is too small for anything to flex enough. Better to leave it, or use clear silicone which will still split but won’t be visible. To be fair the decorator has done a decent job, apart from not covering the floor perfectly. I have seen a lot worse!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bonner said:

The trouble here is the gap is too small for anything to flex enough. Better to leave it, or use clear silicone which will still split but won’t be visible. To be fair the decorator has done a decent job, apart from not covering the floor perfectly. I have seen a lot worse!

It doesn’t look great with the gap so might try something else.

My main gripe with the decorator was paint splatter all over the wood floor due to not adequately covering the area. 

4 hours ago, steveoelliott said:

Any tips greatly appreciated.

1st tip: stop looking at it.  No one else will ever notice!

2nd tip: a bead of white silicone would finish it nicely, but it needs doing by someone who can run a neat bead of  silicone. (I don't think using clear silicone will help if it's the visual gap that offends).

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

1st tip: stop looking at it.  No one else will ever notice!

2nd tip: a bead of white silicone would finish it nicely, but it needs doing by someone who can run a neat bead of  silicone. (I don't think using clear silicone will help if it's the visual gap that offends).

You’re right with the first tip… one of my downfalls lol.

I think white silicon bead may be the way to go. I wouldn’t attempt myself but might ask the guy that did the kitchen flooring as that has a nice neat bead around the edge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bassanclan said:

To me that looks more like a line from masking tape than caulk

I know it was definitely caulked... it had split before and when he did the skirting he tidied it up nicely. Over a few weeks it has split in some places but still fine in others. Obviously this is down to movement and the fact the caulk isn't adequately resistant to it.

• 2 months later...

Well... this morning I was up bright and early so figured I try an area with a couple of thin metal opening tools (used for prying electrical things open etc.)

I am quite pleased with the results... But I now see absolutely no reason for the caulking being used.

image.thumb.jpeg.c975d97ceeb1d97c9571607322b073d6.jpeg

This was before:

image.thumb.jpeg.5daf0b679e7b103bf1b4fe1104a8db62.jpeg

The tools used:

image.png.176aee72005394e71fe375cd0208c54e.png

I should have taken identical before and after pics but they are the same pieces of skirting... I also did under the architrave on this section too. It took me around 40 minutes for this section so I have my work cut out. I was going very slowly / carefully. I'm sure there are better tools to use but I am wary of marking the engineered flooring.

Are there any chemicals that would be safe to use to make this job easier? I have an area in a cloak room I can use a test first.

Edited by steveoelliott