can i put a cat flap on an internal door (which is wood and 4 panel)

TryC

Hi All,

I wondered if you could advise. I am hoping to put a cat flap on an internal door, so the cat can come and go as they please without pushing the door wide open or we having to leave the door open for them to come and go, as it is drafty!

Only thing is, the door in question, one side has no panels, but the other is 4 panels (one big at top and 3 vertical panels on the lower end).

Is it possible to fit one one given the said panels? photo included.

20211121_132514.jpg

Yes but cut carefully and packed out between the ridges on the panel side. You would have to choose a thin cat flap, and this assumes the door is not open to the elements, otherwise you will need to seal all around the outside edge using something like frame sealant. Avoid cutting the bottom thick part of the door, or the door structure will be weakened.

Good luck

M

1 hour ago, TryC said:

Only thing is, the door in question, one side has no panels, but the other is 4 panels (one big at top and 3 vertical panels on the lower end).

That was the stock door in most 1930's houses.  If yours only has panels on one side, have a careful look. Almost certainly one side has just been clad in thin plywood or very often hardboard.  That was done a lot in the 60's to "modernise" the house.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That was the stock door in most 1930's houses.  If yours only has panels on one side, have a careful look. Almost certainly one side has just been clad in thin plywood or very often hardboard.  That was done a lot in the 60's to "modernise" the house.

i see, but it can still be done right? cat flap? it is a pretty solid door, but perhaps thinner in the panel area like you say

1 minute ago, TryC said:

i see, but it can still be done right? cat flap? it is a pretty solid door, but perhaps thinner in the panel area like you say

Yes, your challenge will be getting it to look presentable and not just a bodge.

4 minutes ago, TryC said:

do u think it is best to cut on the plain side or the side with the panels? (per the photo)

Well you want to mark it out on the panel side so the flat straddles one of the vertical panels equally.  You need to choose the flap and see you it is going to work out,   If your cat is not oversize you have more choice over what size flap to buy (we had a previous cat who was so large he used to get stuck in the flap we already had, and it had to be replaced with a small dog flap)

15 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why not buy another door of similar design.

get a similar door to cut a cat flap into that? why?

But in terms of changing the doors, this has been considered, but they are super heavy doors, wood. And putting them back in place has proved difficult in the past.