Welding a lip on an RSJ

Hey everyone, 

Quick question before I either start trawling through old drawings at work or have to ask an SE

I need to little over a set of french doors (1.8m wide)

In the past we have used an RSJ (probably actually a UB) with a steel plate welded along the bottom for the front skin of brick work to sit on

similar to this highly technical drawing

58ee566142aa0_RSJandPlate.png.39e78d3fcb8c6dfee3793a5cdd3354a8.png

question is has anyone got a SE's spec or drawing of this to hand as in how much the plate has to go under the RSJ or could it be butt welded with a few cleats from the web to the plate?

IF not i will have to find the drawings at work somewhere but i would kind of like to weld this tonight if i can.

TIA

Ed

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Weld it on top so it's resting on the foot of the UB instead of hanging from underneath? If you need to crack on, that with 50mm stitches every 100mm should suffice. It's Russian roulette without specs though. 

unfortunately the lump of steel i happen to have lying around is actually an RSJ so the inside edge of the foot is sloped :( 

essentially i have 2.1 m of 178 x 102 x 19 I have just pulled out of someone else house, and i also have 2.1m of 140 x 10mm flat left over from another job.

considering the IG lintels we have put in over much bigger openings seem to made out of tin foil in comparison I am sure this will be more than man enough to take the load. (its not even taking the roof it just needs to take about 15 courses of bricks) i was just hoping someone else might have a SE's drawing i could steal :ph34r: to keep BC happy.

TBH if no one chirps up with a drawing in the next half hour It will have to wait until tomorrow anyway so i may as well just call the BCO and ask him if he would be happy with it or does he really want me to get an SE to spec it............. I really should have called him earlier but i forgot :( 

48 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I really should have called him earlier but i forgot :( 

That'll be chiselled into my gravestone mate. 100 mph, and realised today we need a new 32mm water main, from the pavement in, as one flat has sprinklers. 

Lol ( not ) ?

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

nd realised today we need a new 32mm water main, from the pavement in, as one flat has sprinklers. 

I take it that one is going to get dealt with on Tuesday...o.O

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I think you would need to be looking at gussets...

at first i would agree, but i am almost sure the last one we did didn't have them, annoyingly it was a good few years ago and i can't even remember which job it was on so it would take me ages to find the original SE's drawings even if i did know how the offices filing system worked.

Im on good terms with the local BCO (who conveniently used to be an SE) Ill give him a ring in the morning for a chat, and if worst comes to worst i will call him out to check the steels on another job and do a nice little sketch for him. My money says he will just tell me to put it 40mm under the RSJ and get on and weld it, all depends what kind of a mood he is in, B|

short answer would be because that would cost me money.

The insulated part is irrelevant where i am using it because it is on the outside of my cavity (timber frame - ventilated cavity - brick skin (where i need to use the steel))

as for certified source.... you may well be right but I'm hoping he won't care, the steel i have "stolen" was one of a pair, and the other one he has let us use in another part of the house i stole it from so as above it all depends what kind of mood he is in,

If I'm honest i am not a fan of the lintels you can buy because they are made of such thin metal. earlier this year we spanned a 4m opening with an IG lintel where the lip you laid the outside skin on was made of 3mm steel if not thinner. It bent like hell as they were laying it but as that was what was specced everyone seemed to think it was ok.

I would be much happier laying on a 10mm plate 

funnily enough i suggested putting a timber head under it and some props. but people (especially bricklayers) don't like it when i make smart arsed comments on their sites so i got ignored and went back to hanging doors on one of our other jobs........ to be fair it held but it has still got a sag in it now.

iv been putting props under my 1500 lintels at home just because they are so bloody flimsy.