Combi boilers LPG vs electric

Jilly

For various reasons, we'd elected to get a combi LPG boiler before an ASHP (May be in a year or 2 when we have space for the tank etc. I was unable to get anyone to fit a temporary Willis heater as have no cold tank) so it seemed expedient to have gas and hope we are insulated enough for our usage to be respectable. However, with the current gas debacle, I'm wondering if we should have an electric combi? I was scared it would be eyewateringly expensive to run, but now gas is not looking very promising.

We also rejected oil on account of the tank siting would be tricky. 

We can't have an ASHP until we have built the extension (a year or two at least).  

I'd love solar thermal too, but cant justify that yet either. 

From experience may I suggest that you consider the installation and running cost of what ever you temporarily install. Also which system will give you the most parts pluggable in to the perminant system of the future. 

We were lucky to have a LPG boiler and radiator system and have converted it to ASHP. However we have had to increase the amount of heat emitters because of the lower temp of the ASHP.....

Good luck

Marvin

• Thanks 1

https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-comparison/

Scroll down and see the table and column.. "Pence per kWh (after boiler efficiency)"

Electricity 22p/KWh

LPG 11p/KWh

So switching to pure electric could double your running costs. However for a temporary or short term installation you need to consider capital costs as well.

Note this is for LPG in a tank not cylinders which are probably more expensive.

Edited by Temp

3 hours ago, Jilly said:

For various reasons, we'd elected to get a combi LPG boiler before an ASHP (May be in a year or 2 when we have space for the tank etc. I was unable to get anyone to fit a temporary Willis heater as have no cold tank) so it seemed expedient to have gas and hope we are insulated enough for our usage to be respectable. However, with the current gas debacle, I'm wondering if we should have an electric combi? I was scared it would be eyewateringly expensive to run, but now gas is not looking very promising.

We also rejected oil on account of the tank siting would be tricky. 

We can't have an ASHP until we have built the extension (a year or two at least).  

I'd love solar thermal too, but cant justify that yet either. 

Hi Jilly.

Looks like you are really making progress... remember your posts about protecting steelwork..

Can you set up your LPG system based on you getting an ASHP later. Yes buy the LPG combi boiler but set it up to emulate an ASHP although temporarily running at a higher temperature. You can get a cheep boiler to see you through to the next stage, a regulator and a couple of 47kg bottles. Make sure you get it serviced.. may be able to sell on later second hand to another BH member?

In the grand scheme you have taken a lot of time /care to insulate the house so even though you may spend a bit more on the gas you'll have no standing charge for a mains gas connection.

The main thing is to plan it so you don't have to lift floors etc later? Also, if you do it this way you can enjoy the bathroom and so on.. waterfall shower with plenty water?  filling a bath in jig time .. clean your teeth and not wait that extra time for the warm water to arrive at the tap..(yes there are some on BH that clean their teeth in cold water but I'm a philistine) it means that you can enjoy the things you have bought now rather than waiting till later.. yes it may cost a bit more on gas.. but you deserve a bit of luxury surely?

Just thinking out loud.

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks for the replies! I do like the idea of having lots of energy options in case of outages (it's disappointing that gas still needs a trickle of electric to work). 

Yes, we are setting the UFH for later ASHP, so you've set my mind at rest re the temporary gas boiler rather than an electric one.