Angled Windows

Tony K

Afternoon all.

I am trying to track down a supplier or windows that protrude from the surface of the wall at an angle, thereby directing visibility from within the room in one direction. 

Imagine this first floor window, but entirely simplified so that it has none of the timber structure around it:

Angled Window | Houzz

Does anyone know of suppliers who can produce angles windows to fit standard openings?

Thanks

1 minute ago, markc said:

Wouldn’t it just be an ordinary window mounted at an angle

Yes, I have begun working up a design for an angled, protruding timber casement which could be fitted to a standard wall opening, and would then allow a normal window to be used, but it occurred to me that there might be suppliers who provide the whole thing in one bit of kit. 

6 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Yes, I have begun working up a design for an angled, protruding timber casement which could be fitted to a standard wall opening, and would then allow a normal window to be used, but it occurred to me that there might be suppliers who provide the whole thing in one bit of kit. 

Never seen anything “off the shelf” I have seen dual face protruding windows done by taking one side off of a bay window with a base and top done as you would for a normal bay.

I could see a manufactured unit being very pricey and a compromise, so I would definitely build my own if I needed one

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Would you not use two windows joined at the corner 

one 250 wide the other wider with a small corner post. 

Almost. The need for this design feature is to prevent intervisibility between certain windows in the house, so the 250 wide window would be a fixed panel, but otherwise yes, that's the idea. 

What I am toying with is how to create a timber frame which protrudes from the building at the appropriate angle, and supports the window without having much structure underneath. 

This is my sketch (plan view):

image.png.a7518dbc8b190037a19d86b1d44e3170.png

I have a standard cavity wall with a normal opening, so I am thinking cut some good ply or suchlike into an enlarged, angled windowsill (and same at the top of the frame), then essentially fit it out with insulation and make it watertight. 

I would not like to rely on the frame simply canterleving out from the opening, and so my instinct is to place one or two supporting struts at 45 degrees underneath the protruding sections, back to the face of the wall beneath the frame. 

image.png.e70b7be4e85af97973505ac96d9ad0ef.png

Edited by Tony K

Another option which might be a bit cheaper and still give a similar effect is to make your angled window by having an angled insulated upstand and a regular flat rooflight. Most flat rooflights come with an upstand that is about 4 or 5 degrees so that rain water doesn't pool on the rooflight, so it will be straightforward to ask the manufacturer to make the angle of the upstand 15 or 25 degrees.

22 hours ago, craig said:

Pretty standard design tbh, whether post or glass corner. Most suppliers should be able to assist you.

Most standard suppliers?

Do you happen to know of one who will supply the whole kit to fit a standard flush wall opening?