High Capacity heat recovery?

14 hours ago, puntloos said:

I'll certainly be looking to minimize, but my desktop PC by itself runs at 550W when gaming.

Can you get water cooling for your gaming rig? Might reduce the generated heat (and noise) and also allow you to overclock more ?

12 hours ago, puntloos said:

Ha, ancient roman technique. You have any modern implementations? ;)

In geneal I don't think I should go nuts with all technologies I could find.. 

I merely make useful suggestions. :ph34r:

You could leave your pipes empty of water and plumb in a politician for an air to hot air heat pumping system. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking slightly more modern-ly:

How far do MVHRs differ in their 'HR' skills? If- for arguments sake - my networking closet actually is generating 1000W(*)

- Are there MVHRs that can even deal with high(ish) speed air within reasonable pricing brackets? (I imagine the network cabinet will need some high-ish speed fans to pull that air up)

- Can MVHRs deal with "1000W" style heat? Of course a powerful hob + oven will also generate even 1000s of watts but I assume that gets spread around the house as well

- Assuming MVHR doesn't work, or only recovers a tiny bit, does it make sense to punch a hole in my roof/wall or is that a recipe for failure? Clearly doing it 'stupidly' will ruin airtightness and cold bridging etc etc but are there 'approved' ways to duct hot air outside?

- Instead, would a secondary air-to-air ASHP make sense (or let's call it for what it is, an air conditioner)? It sounds like rather than trying to waste electricity trying to cool the air, it might make more sense to try the 'hole in the wall' approach?

(*) to be clear, I plan to measure today, but my best guess of "idle" power is more like 50W - but these are 1000W amps, where that would only be reached during peak, pretty much never contiunous

Edited by puntloos

55 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Can MVHRs deal with "1000W" style heat?

If you have a 200m2 house that needs 15W.m-2 heat load, that is 3 kW.

So your 1 kW server room should not be too taxing.

Now this is not strictly true as some power is going though walls, floors, windows etc, but I don't think it is a problem.

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

If you have a 200m2 house that needs 15W.m-2 heat load, that is 3 kW.

So your 1 kW server room should not be too taxing.

Now this is not strictly true as some power is going though walls, floors, windows etc, but I don't think it is a problem.

@joth seemed to think a MVHR would not be able to handle such things, perhaps because of the air flow rate needed. Can MVHRs take high-speed air? And presumably, after the MVHR pulls out some heat, you still have pretty warm air, what to do with that?

15 hours ago, puntloos said:

Are there MVHRs that can even deal with high(ish) speed air within reasonable pricing brackets? (I imagine the network cabinet will need some high-ish speed fans to pull that air up)

You need to do some calculations, but nothing stops you putting multiple extraction ports  - as many as needed to extract volume of air necessary to remove all the excess heat. It should be possible within capabilities of stock units (350-400 m3/h). Do remember that you need to make sure equal amount of air can be delivered to that room - gap under the door will no longer be suitable.

Can MVHRs deal with "1000W" style heat?

Some use pre- and after heaters, so why not?

Instead, would a secondary air-to-air ASHP make sense

Have you checked exhaust air heat pumps? DHW will happily suck your 24kWh per day

(*) to be clear, I plan to measure today, but my best guess of "idle" power is more like 50W - but these are 1000W amps

Do you mean power supplies? Your heat generation will depend on workload, you mentioned network traffic routing only, but it is probably computing/graphics that will use the most. If you're rendering 24/7, or mining, then the generation will indeed be constant, but in 'normal' use you'll be idle probably 90% of time - currently IT devices work on 'race to sleep' principle