Will this drawing work?

WWilts

Aircrete blocks are naff, move crack and have poor adhesion to mortar especially on perp joints

i used steel dowels to sit my bigger windows on built into the outside skin reveal 

central angle bracket is useless if only fixed to the top brick, use 600mm heavy duty once bent strap fixed bottom middle and top to the masonry or a plate but plate would be a thermal bridge 

• Like 1

As above 

Solid concrete blocks are better Make sure the joints are well pointed I use tons of parge coat per year 

Complete waste of money and will encourage dabbers not to run continuously dabbs 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nod said:

Complete waste of money

Why is parge coat a waste? (apart from encouraging poor workmanship from dabbers)
Cracking?
Porotherm standard practice is ecoparge (not using Porotherm here, but we assumed same principle applies)

Edited by WWilts

I did similar, my cills are angled bricks which overshoot the cavity a little, rested the windows on the cills and used the same brackets as you up both sides. I used expanding foam tape between window and surrounding brick (my windows fitted check reveals, I.e. windows fitted to inside skin of outside brickwork). As we had solid render and plaster coating inside I only parged between floors where plaster etc did not extend. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WWilts said:

Why is parge coat a waste? (apart from encouraging poor workmanship from dabbers)
Cracking?
Porotherm standard practice is ecoparge (not using Porotherm here, but we assumed same principle applies)

As a business We use it for sound coating 

The air should be getting to the block work 

The boards and ceiling should be sealed 

and around all the sockets 

I’ve been using Parge for over 30 years Sand and cement before that While it’s effective for sound deadening It’s a waste of money for airtightness 

When it is specked in a contract I always refer to it as sound block As I’ve already said it encourages the plasterers that work for me not to seal everything off probably 

If warm air is getting through to the block work You’ve got problems 

One large company that we do around 40 houses per year for used Parge on every house and every wall That stoped about 5 years ago when they agreed to pay there brickies an extra £1 m2 to point and bar rub every joint 

No more gaps and snots Parge on party walls only 

Edited by nod
  • Like 1