Why Not To Clad...

Onoff

Trying to explain to my mate why cladding his workshop in laminate flooring he's planning to get from Freecycle etc is not a good idea. For example:

IMG_20211011_054815.jpg.f6a676e13f34182bbc6fde37fb3607b7.jpg

- Some have MDF cores. Moisture will get at it from the back. 

- Joint profile is completely wrong for shedding water. Multiple entry points for rain to get in. 

-  Even a blockboard substrate probably isn't made suitable for external use. 

Help me out with a sentence or two why it's a really bad idea!

I saw what happened when the FiL made a shed by cladding an old greenhouse frame in MDF and covering it in roofing felt. Eventually the MDF became so sodden, the weight of the felt alone broke the MDF apart. 

?

57 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What I say to the kids when I see a cyclist holding everything up?

"Ah the C word!"

Oh look kids, another Curtious cyclist. … ?

Edited by markc

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

What I say to the kids when I see a cyclist holding everything up?

"Ah the C word!"

That's what I say when there is some distraught Mr Toad trying to squeeze past dangerously someone on a bike in order to get forward to the traffic jam at the next junction 7 seconds early,  in order to wait 7 seconds longer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markc said:

Oh look kids, another Curtious cyclist. … ?

Very few are courteous tbh. Older ones are better. Younger types tend to glance over their shoulders then go ar$e up, head down for 4 miles whilst ignorong every opportunity to pull over/slow down/let you pass, whilst creating a tailback of traffic behind them.

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Very few are courteous tbh. Older ones are better. Younger types tend to glance over their shoulders then go ar$e up, head down for 4 miles whilst ignorong every opportunity to pull over/slow down/let you pass, whilst creating a tailback of traffic behind them.

Absolutely! I had one run a red light, straight into the side of me and then start ranting about drivers not looking out for bikes

1 minute ago, markc said:

Absolutely! I had one run a red light, straight into the side of me and then start ranting about drivers not looking out for bikes

I followed 2, riding abreast, for miles along a very narrow country lane. At a junction I wound the window down and said "Excuse me mate but I'm pretty sure the Highway Code says you should have given way. Got a right mouthful back.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Trying to explain to my mate why cladding his workshop in laminate flooring he's planning to get from Freecycle etc is not a good idea. For example:

IMG_20211011_054815.jpg.f6a676e13f34182bbc6fde37fb3607b7.jpg

- Some have MDF cores. Moisture will get at it from the back. 

- Joint profile is completely wrong for shedding water. Multiple entry points for rain to get in. 

-  Even a blockboard substrate probably isn't made suitable for external use. 

Help me out with a sentence or two why it's a really bad idea!

I saw what happened when the FiL made a shed by cladding an old greenhouse frame in MDF and covering it in roofing felt. Eventually the MDF became so sodden, the weight of the felt alone broke the MDF apart. 

?

I don't think you will.

Get him to put some MDF in his chosen surface protector  outside for the winter.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

(If you want a distraction from useful work today, this is it.)

Do you have a data-based reference showing that most people on bikes are not courteous, please?

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I followed 2, riding abreast, for miles along a very narrow country lane. At a junction I wound the window down and said "Excuse me mate but I'm pretty sure the Highway Code says you should have given way. Got a right mouthful back.

If you are next to them at a junction, isn't that the opportunity to overtake?

(And a paragraph reference from the Highway Code, if you have one?)

44 minutes ago, markc said:

That sounds fair enough comment, @markc.

F

• 8 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 09:29, Onoff said:

Better to fart at you, my precious.

On 11/10/2021 at 09:53, Onoff said:

• Rule 66: Be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you, and allow them to overtake (e.g. by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Be aware of drivers behind you, and allow them to overtake (e.g. by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so.

When, on a 3 1/2" mile country lane the w**nkers just look over their shoulder at you and pedal harder, passing multiple lay-bys, then I wish all and every bad thing upon them. 

Why shouldn't I, on my way to the hospital when my Dad suffered heart failure not be able to toot them up as an emergency? 

C**nts should pay road tax too. They add to pollution by making car drivers go slower.

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

C**nts should pay road tax too. They add to pollution by making car drivers go slower

Yes, my car is more economical at 65 than at 30.

Why I jump red lights.

Edited by SteamyTea