choosing a consumer unit

Cpd

So I have a man shed that’s fed by a few extension cables….. its bad and I am now ready to upgrade. 
the shed is very close to the main house and from the 100A mains in feed the house it’s a 17 meter max  total cable run including trench / up and down walls. 
I will get my electrician in to connect to the house feed and connect to the consumer unit in the shed. 
I want to future proof this by laying a decent size armoured cable and an 8 way or 10 way consumer unit with rcbo throughout. (Will buy as needed when I know what hat need is)
I have spent hours trying to find an unpopulated consumer unit and it’s very hard with my limited knowledge. 
I have read various threads on the topic and as usual there I just get more confused! 
I was hoping to put an order in with screwfix within the next day to get the 10% discount as I also am buying other bits and bobs from them. 
do I just pick a consumer unit or is there something I should know ! 
any pointers would be great. 
would like to have everything ready for the spark to limit the time he is on site as he will be fitting this job in between others. 
thanks for any help. 
cpd. 

I've used a few of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-cfsw07-9-module-7-way-part-populated-main-switch-consumer-unit/3571x. They seem OK to me, but I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of CUs. They do other sizes.

If you want completely unpopulated ones select 'unpopulated' on the Screwfix consumer unit page and it gives you 12 options.

• Like 1

The BG stuff from SF is probably as good as any other ordinary brand.

The one I avoid at all costs is MK, and they are on my blacklist because they have history of changing the exact sizing of their mcb's so a current MK mcb will be a very poor fit in an old MK board.

My favourite and what I have in my house is Hager, because it does not matter how new or how old your Hager board is, the mcbs are exactly the same size and a perfect fit.  but you won't get Hager from screweys.

• Like 2

BG CU’s have a decent amount of room inside so are a good choice for budget / non essential stuff like garages and outbuildings.

Ask your spark to run 16mm SWA off a 60a switch fuse and tap into the meter tails with Henley blocks if you want a rock solid supply. 
Ask about earth provision and check any requirements for NOT exporting the supply earth from the house. At that short distance I would think it’s fine to export it, but sometimes rules differ with for eg metal clad buildings etc. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1

Thanks all. @markc it’s called a man shed but it’s very “multi functional” and used by volunteers and workers as a bit of a bace camp so cooking, washing, heating etc etc with an extension planned in the future so wanting to put something in to cope with future ideas…. 
@billt thanks I think I will go with the next size up of the one you recommended 

@ProDave thanks for steering me away from MK…. I had one in my basket ! 
@Nickfromwales Thanks I will buy some 16mm SWA and get it installed ready for my spark to connect and ask him about the earth. 

right time to place the order. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Thanks all. @markc it’s called a man shed but it’s very “multi functional” and used by volunteers and workers as a bit of a bace camp so cooking, washing, heating etc etc with an extension planned in the future so wanting to put something in to cope with future ideas…. 
@billt thanks I think I will go with the next size up of the one you recommended 

@ProDave thanks for steering me away from MK…. I had one in my basket ! 
@Nickfromwales Thanks I will buy some 16mm SWA and get it installed ready for my spark to connect and ask him about the earth. 

right time to place the order. 

If extending the building at a later date, I’d put a 25mm2 SWA in and that will allow an 80a connection. Would be a day of crying to find out the supply needed upgrading later down the line ;)