How to Kill an Ash Tree

Becks1974

Hello, we are about to start building an extension to our house - we had the Building Control Surveyor round yesterday to carry out his initial site visit - he was happy apart from a tree which is growing about 2 meters away from the nearest wall for the new extension - he suggested that we get rid of it somehow as the roots could interfere with the foundations in later years.

The tree is an Ash tree, it is a fairly young one and stands at about 7 foot tall - it is growing in the middle of the hedge boundary shared by my neighbour, the tree wasn't planted, but has appeared by the wonders of nature!  The tree is on the neighbours side of the hedge, but it is not possible to get to it due to the hedge being in the way.

The neighbour is quite happy for us to 'kill it off', can anybody advise the best course of action to get rid of the tree.

Many thanks in advance

7 foot is nothing, just a seedling. Ash is like sycamore in that they both seed prolifically and a lot of the seeds germinate.

I'd just cut it off at ground level and keep pinching out the shoots which will appear. If you're reasonably persistent it won't recover.

we had a lot of these ash trees that we had to clear - we refer to them as weed trees as they sprout up anywhere as Billt says above. we cut them down as low as we could then painted on SBK stump killer on the stump, that seems to do it, else you are fighting a losing battle with the pesky things. I dont think roundup would work TBH, i dont find that very effective, though it may signify my lack of patience! 

We have had twenty five trees cut down since we moved in four months ago. They ranged from 600mm down to 150mm diameter and I drilled 22mm diameter holes, around 70mm deep in the stumps and filled them with SBK. The only ones requiring more treatment have been Ash and Beech. For a slow but sure kill bang copper tube into the hole.

1 hour ago, Becks1974 said:

Ash tree, it is a fairly young one and stands at about 7 foot tall -

As  above.  At this size it is of no significance so just cut it down. The roots will die too.

Very sensible from the BCO.

Then keep an eye on the hedge and keep it all down. Tree killer in the trunk works , and there are other similar products, or weed kill the leaves if it dares try again.

I get lots of sycamores coming through the hedge, and just cut them down regularly.

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If you kill a tree root artificially i.e. quickly, can this cause problems with the ground sinking/shrinking?

Normally only an issue for much bigger trees on some types of clay soil. 

We are surrounded by Ash 7-12 metres high 

I’ve cut down about 40 of them 

and I’ve cut a deep x in the stump with my chainsaw Two years on all the stumps except four oak have rotted completely 

image.jpg

Edited by nod