Protecting belfast sink

Grian

We salvaged a shaws double belfast sink from a kitchen refurbishment and planned to use it for our self build but decided in the end that it just didn't work in our kitchen or utility room. It was the right decision.

It's now next to an outside tap in the garden and it is a really useful item to have in our garden.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Get a cheap worktop, cut a hole in it, then fit a normal sink.

(I still remember the backache I got after staying in a hostel that had a Belfast sink, they are just too low)

Backache from using the sink, what about moving it! I decided to move a double one myself about 150 meters and in the end I used a few pairs of old wet deer posts to slide it along our the access road. 

When we demolished the house on our site, I salvaged everything, Inc a Belfast sink (actually made in Belfast in 1920) and left in the garden. At some point I noticed it was missing, some fecker had stolen it!!!

Anyway.. we're going for a large workstation sink in our new build. Its too big to fill with water, instead it has a gridded "false bottom" and a half basin that sits in on one half. You could use something like a stainless steel trivet from IKEA to create a false bottom, and just use a plastic basin if you need to do dishes in water. 

• Like 1