Sound proofing external facing stud wall behind a garage door

Alexx

Hey guys, I'm building a stud wall behind my garage door (metal door) to use as a recording space and I'm wondering about the best materials to use to create a good sound barrier with good thermal performance too. I was thinking about using 4x2 to make the frame and on the side facing the garage door cover it with some high density material. I'm not sure if that could be OSB as it seems to be more resistant to humidity as well. Inside the wall I'm planning to add 90mm PIR insulation, and then on the inside 1 layer 15mm acoustic plasterboard with a layer of tecsound and then another 15mm layer pf acoustic plasterboard.

I'f anyone has any other suggestions about different materials I could use it would be great.

Don’t use timber 
Two 50 metal c studs set 40 mil apart 100 mil acoustic insulation between Two layers of 15 mil sound block board on either side Joints staggered 

= Full party wall spec

Also the ceiling and floor track will have to made up as deflection heads to stop sound travel 

2 layers of board on the underside of each 

Edited by nod

• 1 month later...
On 19/09/2021 at 11:20, Alexx said:

Hey guys, I'm building a stud wall behind my garage door (metal door) to use as a recording space and I'm wondering about the best materials to use to create a good sound barrier with good thermal performance too. I was thinking about using 4x2 to make the frame and on the side facing the garage door cover it with some high density material. I'm not sure if that could be OSB as it seems to be more resistant to humidity as well. Inside the wall I'm planning to add 90mm PIR insulation, and then on the inside 1 layer 15mm acoustic plasterboard with a layer of tecsound and then another 15mm layer pf acoustic plasterboard.

I'f anyone has any other suggestions about different materials I could use it would be great.

Why don't u wanna go for RS100 foil faced both sites? Then you can cover it with Soundbloc Board. Hard to find product, but everything is possible with unce Google.I used this product once. Belive me or not it was used to cover noisy air compressor used in my chippy's workshop. https://insulationgo.co.uk/100mm-foil-faced-both-sides-rs100-knauf-rock-mineral-wool-building-slab-100kg-density-acoustic-insulation-multi-application-rw5/