Tile and a half

Dee

You will have to buy new very hard to find in the reclamation yards. 

The thing I have done in the past is to pinch some off the house in another area that is less noticeable and change for the new ones. 

There is another trick I have done when trying to match bricks and that is to use waterproof pva on the face of the new tile and get two old tiles and rub them together to get the dirty sand finish to fall off and stick to the pva. 

Voila old looking tile. 

Hmm. Difficult. Can you put a name to them (will the oldest BCO in the Council know?) ?

How many do you need? And are all houses in the area similar?

My BiL added a new tile hung dormer recently on his 1930s semi. He did it by knowing what they were and watching Ebay like a hawk for about a year first, and buying anything within range across Surrey and South London, and further afield for the specialities such as corcer-cappers and valley tiles.He ended up with way more than needed just in case and flogged the hundreds leftover off again.

If you only need a few and they are used within your area for similar-looking houses, then I might try doorknockiing up and down the road, or putting a card in a newsagent, or even Freecycle.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

You will be able to get them from Carwarden Reclaim in Rugeley, Staffordshire.

I had a similar desire, but looking for Acme Sandstorm in dark/black coloured, they have EVERYTHING at Carwarden, but at a price. £4.50+VAT for a tile and a half I decided to buy new.

At the end of the day nobody spends that much time looking at the roof.

You can see in this photo I used new tile and a halves. They are a decent match except where my supplier gave me staffs mixed instead of staffs blue, but I wasn't going to waste time going back to change them!

WP_20170307_09_08_59_Pro.jpg

16 hours ago, Dee said:

Cannot find reclaimed concrete plain tile and a half for love nor money.... Exhausted all avenues..... Are there any work around or alternatives

DESPERATE!!! 

DSC_0640.JPG

I have a load buried at the back of the lock up, probably a couple of hundred, but, unfortunately, they appear to be a lot darker than the colour your picture suggests. Sorry, that's of no help to you whatsoever, :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bassanclan said:

At the end of the day nobody spends that much time looking at the roof.

Can I politely disagree with that? Maybe not much time, but in my experience they do look.

If you have tiles of a different colour they (especially buyers) *will* notice unless they are hidden (inner valley for example, or facing the back of a chimney, or under solar panels), and they may need to be randomised. Or it might not be a problem.

(Have to admit that I love the thought of a future person taking the solar panels off a house and finding that the tiles underneath are germoline pink or lime green !).

@Dee Do you have any in less prominent positions that you could move around, or where the quantity you need could be justified as a one off "contrast feature" (eg line along a dormer that is a single not a pair, or at the side), and buy some not-quite-matching or different? I am sure you have considered that, though.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I have considered the above suggestions. The dormer is very prominent and only reclaimed will do... A lot of blood sweat and tears have gone into this little project and to spoil it by any other means would look awful. 

I have one lead but he's being vague... Thanks for the response 

I can understand you wanting to get the right colour if it is on display at the front of the house, the ones in my picture are not easily visible (unless you are on the roof taking a photo).

Depending on the nature of the position etc have you thought about cutting two tiles to the size of a tile and a half and putting a lead soaker underneath, this could then be replaced as and when you find the correct tile and a half. (no good if you are cutting the tile and a halves)

Managed to find 11 tiles from 3a roofers in Copdock (thanks Nik) so I'll consider your suggestion @bassanclan

@Steptoe. The photo is very accurate, tge tile started life terracotta /red and now all the colour has gone its just grey beige... Where are you located? 

Hope to start tiling this weekend so I'll have a better idea. 

12 minutes ago, Dee said:

Managed to find 11 tiles from 3a roofers in Copdock (thanks Nik) so I'll consider your suggestion @bassanclan

@Steptoe. The photo is very accurate, tge tile started life terracotta /red and now all the colour has gone its just grey beige... Where are you located? 

Hope to start tiling this weekend so I'll have a better idea. 

Hi @Dee

from memory, the ones I have a quite a bit darker than terracotta,

but,

like most men,

I only see in 8 colours,

so your version of terracotta may be very different than mine,,,,,

I'm just north of Manchester,

I should get into the lock-up on Sunday, it really needs a serious clearout,,,,

I'll take a picture then.