What paint colour could this be?

Gina_Violet

Hi,

I need to source a 900x900mm end panel for an island, but can only find them online in that size.

I believe the supplier sourced the kitchen from Uform , the colour is down as Marine. https://www.uform.co.uk/doors/strada-matte-marine

I assume they are using well known brands of paint but don't way who.  Anyone have an idea what it could be? I did think of colour matching but in the past I have found the colours to be off.

Thanks 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Your issue will be the 15% semi matte finish that they use - it will be sprayed and potentially has a binder / flatting agent in the paint which will change the overall finish. 

This did cross my mind as it doesn't look painted  so I wasn't sure how they did it.

I'm not sure what to do now. I have two 600 end panels but they cut two together on the other end but there is an obvious join.  The end panel I want to replace can be seen as soon as you walk in so I wanted one piece 900x900.

I wish they had told me this when it was planned. 

If I get one of these online bespoke door companies to make it do they normally just paint them rather than the process you mentioned?

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Maybe get in touch with someone who paints kitchen cabinet doors as their job, they will use a sprayer and may be able to better achieve the finish you are after.

Thanks, maybe that is an option. It is quite cheap to buy a printable 900x900 end panel online. The company who supply the kitchen gave me a tiny pot of touch up paint but they label it in their own brand, I assume they don't make their own paint so it's probably a well known brand.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I would go for a contrast - or statement - colour or finish. Copper sheet ..?

Thanks. Someone else suggested a waterfall island, so as the top is oak I just carry it over to the end panels.

That might work. 

38 minutes ago, markc said:

If you want a match, take a sample to someone who supplies car paint.

they will match the colour

Thanks, as per the suggestion I found a company near by that spray paints kitchens and colour matches, so I will see what they quote.

22 hours ago, Gina_Violet said:

Hi,

I need to source a 900x900mm end panel for an island, but can only find them online in that size.

I believe the supplier sourced the kitchen from Uform , the colour is down as Marine. https://www.uform.co.uk/doors/strada-matte-marine

I assume they are using well known brands of paint but don't way who.  Anyone have an idea what it could be? I did think of colour matching but in the past I have found the colours to be off.

Thanks 

Take a sample of the current kitchen (door or something) to an automotive/industrial paint supplier and ask them to match it - or better, take it to an automotive paint shop and ask them to do it. Even the medium sized firms will have a colour-mix system in house. 

When I want to match things, like say a light fitting to a piece of furniture for example I take a sample and leave it with them, they go and play with the colours and usually give me 5-6 options to pick from, they basically make up tiny amounts of paint and dab it on a card. I've got some excellent results including some very difficult colours including metallics. For house stuff I get the colours in a solvent-borne basecoast and coat them with 2K satin lacquer to get the final finish I need. Good thing with 2 stage paint systems is that if you get the finish too glossy you can alter ratios and settings and re-laquer without messing with the basecoat, or some may call it colour coat.

Lots of thinner in a gloss lacquer and a really wet coat can give mirror finishes, less thinners and applying a "dry" mist can give a much more satin look, then you get satin lacquer which again can actually be made quite glossy or even more satin through ratio and gun control. An intentional light orange peel on a paint finish can also give the colour a variance to it as you look at it which can help hide colour match irregularities.

Another thing to bear in mind is the primer, use a grey primer on a metallic silver for example and you will get a light, sparkly finish, use a black primer and you will transform the final finish because part of the depth of colour comes from the primer, black can leave the silver looking slightly darker but also washed out as the layer build is wrong. Do something like use a blue primer and you can create some really interesting finishes. 

So sometimes even if you have a close colour match but it doesn't look right, then the chances are maybe the prep was not right to achieve the tone or depth you need.

I could apply the same paint to 4 different primers and make it look like 4 different tones of paint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Take a sample of the current kitchen (door or something) to an automotive/industrial paint supplier and ask them to match it - or better, take it to an automotive paint shop and ask them to do it. Even the medium sized firms will have a colour-mix system in house. 

When I want to match things, like say a light fitting to a piece of furniture for example I take a sample and leave it with them, they go and play with the colours and usually give me 5-6 options to pick from, they basically make up tiny amounts of paint and dab it on a card. I've got some excellent results including some very difficult colours including metallics. For house stuff I get the colours in a solvent-borne basecoast and coat them with 2K satin lacquer to get the final finish I need. Good thing with 2 stage paint systems is that if you get the finish too glossy you can alter ratios and settings and re-laquer without messing with the basecoat, or some may call it colour coat.

Lots of thinner in a gloss lacquer and a really wet coat can give mirror finishes, less thinners and applying a "dry" mist can give a much more satin look, then you get satin lacquer which again can actually be made quite glossy or even more satin through ratio and gun control. An intentional light orange peel on a paint finish can also give the colour a variance to it as you look at it which can help hide colour match irregularities.

Another thing to bear in mind is the primer, use a grey primer on a metallic silver for example and you will get a light, sparkly finish, use a black primer and you will transform the final finish because part of the depth of colour comes from the primer, black can leave the silver looking slightly darker but also washed out as the layer build is wrong. Do something like use a blue primer and you can create some really interesting finishes. 

So sometimes even if you have a close colour match but it doesn't look right, then the chances are maybe the prep was not right to achieve the tone or depth you need.

I could apply the same paint to 4 different primers and make it look like 4 different tones of paint. 

Thanks 

I am just not very good at doing it myself. I have been quoted £250 for it but that was more than I thought.

Edited by Gina_Violet

9 minutes ago, Gina_Violet said:

Thanks 

I am just not very good at doing it myself. I have been quoted £250 for it but that was more than I thought.

£250 to get a panel painted?

Go and find yourself a little back street automotive painter or if you use a local independent garage who are decent ask them if they know any auto painters. 

Where are you located? Not in Scotland are you?

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

£250 to get a panel painted?

Go and find yourself a little back street automotive painter or if you use a local independent garage who are decent ask them if they know any auto painters. 

Where are you located? Not in Scotland are you?

Thanks, no I'm in London. I have found a company that will do it for £40.00. Much better.

But I was talking to someone and have now discovered that the issue may well have been the fitters. As a 1200 x 900 board was supplied and should have been cut and turned on it's side so the cut side was flush with the floor. But they cut it up and used it at the other end (which is a different size) instead leaving an unsightly join.

On 20/08/2021 at 09:13, Gina_Violet said:

Thanks, no I'm in London. I have found a company that will do it for £40.00. Much better.

But I was talking to someone and have now discovered that the issue may well have been the fitters. As a 1200 x 900 board was supplied and should have been cut and turned on it's side so the cut side was flush with the floor. But they cut it up and used it at the other end (which is a different size) instead leaving an unsightly join.

A cut joint to the floor is also not great, first time it gets damp it will swell up. Unless they take time to properly seal it then clear silicon it to the floor with a very thin clean bead.

• Like 1