It's been a week of "Good Days"

In my introduction I said I looked forward to sharing the highs and lows - well this week has been one full of highs!

Monday it was finishing the EPS:

EPS_Down.jpg

Tuesday it was installing the UFH:

UFH_Down.jpg

Wednesday was finishing the steels:

Steels_Down.jpg

Thursday (today) was a BIG day - Concreting Day.

First load in by 08:30

Concrete_FirstLoad.jpg

Power-floating starting at 11:00 while the last few loads are going in

Concrete_PowerFloatStart.jpg

All finished and perfectly smooth by 17:00

Concrete_Finished.jpg

I can't imagine there will be many weeks like this one.

• Like 2

Thanks @Redoctober , The structure is a portal-framed, ex-cowshed, I've grown to appreciate it...

Here's a snapshot of the planned interior layout. Planning restrictions mean we'll be on a single level, although will have ceilings in some rooms with "Service Area" above.

Under-Slab_Layout.JPG

Edited by IanR
typo

I have seen a converted barn smaller than your on The Modern House website

http://www.themodernhouse.com/holiday-lets/nr-glastonbury/

I like the way that he used the roof to create over hangs and sheltered walkways by having the walls set back from the eaves.

What are you doing for the roof?  Will you just insulate under the existing roof or are you creating a "roof" under the existing one

That looks like you laid the UFH then dropped A146 mesh over the top..? Is that correct..?

Considering doing that as its got to be quicker than cable ties and easier to walk on.

Out of interest, how deep is the EPS and what uValues are you targeting for the floor/walls/roof..?

@Calvinmiddle  I had seen the Glastonbury holiday home previously, and like what they have done. I looked at all options and have a very conservative LPA that insisted on maintaining the shape and form of the agricultural building. The banner image on my profile shows a rendering of what we have Approved.

There will be a new timber frame warm roof under the existing. And then I'll ply deck the existing and put on a standing seam rainscreen.

@DeeJunFan Thanks, We're very lucky with the site, especially as it was already part of the family Farm.

@PeterW  Yep, UFH clipped to the EPS and A193 mesh laid over the top. I felt there was less chance of any damage to the UFH pipe.

Floor is 300mm EPS - 0.1 U Value 

Walls are 300mm blown cellulose fibre - 0.12 U Value.

Roof is 350mm blown cellulose fibre - 0.11 U Value.

Structure is cold-bridge free.

Edited by IanR
typo