Water supply for building works

ragg987

This might be useful to someone about to commence a new build. Our water usage for the 13 month build project was 130m3. About 10m3 per month, which is what a family of 4 would consume if they are not too extravagant - approx £400 worth.

Prior to the start, our water company offered us the option for a fixed charge at 0.17% of build cost plus VAT vs metered supply. I opted for metered, a fixed charge would have come in at £1,200.

This is for a 330m2 timber frame with ICF basement. We had a single stand-pipe for the build, I reckon we could have saved quite a bit of water if we had looked after the constantly dripping tap.

27 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

...a fixed charge at 0.17% of build cost plus VAT vs metered supply. 

Build cost as determined by whom?  

I assume it's something along the lines of more expensive houses tend to have more bathrooms and more occupants, but still, what an odd way to charge for water!  

No i meant the water supply just for the building works, so number of bathrooms is not material. Agree that build cost is vague. And does it include finishes, which can be non-existant to gold-plated taps? Pass.

Guest Alphonsox

Northern Ireland charges £20 for a "building supply" for as much as you want. After completion it is charged with your rates (no council tax here).

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

A "loophole" up here means we are not charged for building water.  Up here water is charged with your council tax, No house = no council tax = no building water bill.

Were you not charged the standard SW £192 Building Water charge or £338 Infrastructure charge as part of your connection fee?  I have had to pay both for every house I've built.