Wetrooms made easy

GaryM

Parted company with builder, so now looking at doing ensuite myself ( I have done a little in the past).

The ensuite is a fair size 3m x 3m and we want to make it a wet room, mainly for a walk in shower and a free standing bath we already have that does not have a overflow.

The floor is caberdek, a waterproof coated chipboard, in which I want to inlay a wetroom shower tray. 

I was thinking of using Aquaseal Waterproof Tanking kit which I have used before on the floor and walls, then tile on this.  Will this be adequate? I was thinking of buying extra tanking joint tape and intend to seal all floor board joints as well.

I know I could lay decoupling matting, but the floors are solid and waterproof to a degree, the tanking is rubber and so to some degree act as decoupling mat.  

So I hoping, keeping simple but doing it well would, would be adequate Your thoughts?

Thanks

I would very strongly recommend fail safe design, for me that means vinyl sheet flooring sealed into the shower waste gulley and coved and run up the wall behind shower wall linings 

resin is an alternative, blackjack and tiles ate not, they will leak - onto a wood structure, no thanks 

13 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

I would very strongly recommend fail safe design, for me that means vinyl sheet flooring sealed into the shower waste gulley and coved and run up the wall behind shower wall linings 

resin is an alternative, blackjack and tiles ate not, they will leak - onto a wood structure, no thanks 

So you are suggesting use vinyl instead of tiles?  I already have the tiles so with be tiling. 

I used the Impey water guard kit which is a membrane you apply to the floor and seal all the joints and comes with the corner joints etc.  It doubles as a decoupling mat for the tiles.  I also used a matching Impey tray.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I used the Impey water guard kit which is a membrane you apply to the floor and seal all the joints and comes with the corner joints etc.  It doubles as a decoupling mat for the tiles.  I also used a matching Impey tray.

Thanks @ProDave looks interesting, is it as easy to fit as the Impey video shows?  If it is used on walls will it take weight of tiles, I think it said 30kg per m2 so I think it should be okay for 8mm subway tiles.

looking at video i will only need to put it on the walls around shower area +600mm either side.

I have just finished 5 bathrooms in Aquaseal - good stuff. If you are using green board then the coverage is a lot better than stated. 2 coats on 3 bathrooms in mine were covered by 1 tub.

You do get through a fair bit more of the tape than expected though.  I can grab a pic on Monday if you want?

@faz I've used aquaseal before and got on well with it, so happy to use it if it's adequate. 

What are people thoughts about needing a decoupling mat? Nearly all the instructions I've seen for tanking just assume you are tiling on the tanking even if on board

3 hours ago, Faz said:

2 coats on 3 bathrooms in mine were covered by 1 tub.

I'm amazed by that. I thought it went on a bit "thin" when I did mine. I'd expected it to be a darker blue and less see through. I used the best part of 2 x 7.5m2 Aquaseal kits. Followed the instructions, coated horizontal the first coat, vertical the second. This was on the Aqua Panels:

20180815_205515

This was on the moisture resistant (green) plasterboard, maybe a bit darker?

20181002_173922

Edited by Onoff

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm amazed by that. I thought it went on a bit "thin" when I did mine. I'd expected it to be a darker blue and less see through. I used the best part of 2 x 7.5m2 Aquaseal kits. Followed the instructions, coated horizontal the first coat, vertical the second. This was on the Aqua Panels:

20180815_205515

This was on the moisture resistant (green) plasterboard, maybe a bit darker?

20181002_173922

I didn't do the whole bathroom - just around the shower and bath and a bit to the back of the sink area - areas that may get wet with a grout crack etc. The membrane is really elastic given the experience of getting it off finger nails and cloths etc.