New home insurance without build warranty

Hi folks,

While we are waiting on the build warranty, is it possible to insure the house without it?

I tried search for an answer but most places just want to sell you insurance rather than explaining it.

Many thanks.

Dominic

29 minutes ago, nod said:

Yes you don’t need a warrantee or even to have the house signed off to move in and have full regular home insurance 

Might be questions asked if it burnt down in meantime. I've always understood bco sign off needed as minimum

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Might be questions asked if it burnt down in meantime. I've always understood bco sign off needed as minimum

No

We moved in In December and didn’t get BC sign off till May 

We took a full policy out three weeks before we moved in

Insurance asked if gas and electric was certified 

They'll will all sell you a buildings insurance policy but you'll only find out if there is an issue if you had to make a major claim.

We had a 2 year delay getting BCO sign off after occupation (balcony & externals issue) but got a bog standard B&C insurance policy once the site policy had finished and the major works were done. I suppose that could potentially have been troublesome in any claim but none arose.

In that time we re-mortgaged, leaving Ecology for a high st lender and surveyor asked if we had a warranty (i said yes) but they never asked to see it. We did have one but it had not gone 'on risk' as they need the BCO completion cert. They then backdated it to the build completion date so effectively two years of the policy wiped out.

Recently tried to claim against warranty but claim fell foul of the issue arising in the 2 year 'builder fixes it' period so right now was a waste of money. Annoying thing is, the original insurer went bust and I was offered the premium back vs taking the policy when I tried to activate it. Kind of wish I had now...

Warranty has nothing to do with it.  We didn't bother as no intention of selling and it was several £K that could be better spent on building than a bit of paper that would have no value after 10 years.

If you switch to normal insurance before sign off then perhaps they could try and wriggle out of a claim?  but once signed as complete by building control there can be no issue.