Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

I fitted the hob yesterday. The daft duct for the recirculating hob was a faff. The kitchen fitter fitted it as part of the island installation but he made a proper arse of it and also managed to break it. It’s supposed to just ‘click’ together but the least movement and it fell apart. Not sure how other recirculating hobs work, presumably much the same thing way. Anyway quick visit to screwfix to get some self-tappers and it’s now properly fixed in place. I have a spare back for the cabinet to cover up the cutout and I’ve painted the exposed cuts. 

IMG_1469.thumb.jpeg.efe0cca54aca114c2fee856342c48022.jpeg0E550263-452F-45E4-AFA7-3104E5683A10.thumb.jpeg.d6db2a91604e8ba5b48ad2816e4552fa.jpeg

• Like 1

Just joined Kelvin new bungalow to build this year.Looks like good progress and really good of you to post your "journey" as an incentive us "newbies".I always try and forward to think Months on sure you'll be in and settled..cheers Vin

On 26/02/2024 at 11:40, Kelvin said:

I fitted the hob yesterday.

The only BH post that my wife has been interested in. Wants to know confirm that is a NEFF,

Where the cleaned air re-emerges into the room?

Is that duct compartment a unit, or a void between units?

Does the ducting come with the hob and go all the way to whatever outlet there is?

Looks like we will be saving up for one of those, and an AEG oven with the slideaway door.

You maybe already said, sorry, but who did the scary cutting in the worktop?

I say scary as we had joiners cut a hole in our oak worktop. They traced the upside down sink and cut that size, Then balanced it on the brackets and siliconed so we couldn't see it wasn't sitting on the wood......until it moved a bit and I looked underneath....horror.

A much better joiner cut a basin into a composite worktop and was clearly very nervous.

It is indeed, it’s a Neff N70 80cm venting induction hob. 

The duct curves down under the cabinet and has a large wide final piece the air exits from and will come out beneath it at your feet. There’s quite a wide void between the two cabinets that are back to back and it fits between them. You can exit the vented air either into the room, as we are, or it could be connected to longer ducting to extract externally. The ducting is an additional purchase and there are three options depending on how you need to extract the air. The hob comes with an adapter that fits  into the back of it  that then screws to the back of the kitchen unit. You don’t use this if you fit the ducting. 

The worktop supplier did all the cutting. Very efficient. They sent a guy out who templated it as per picture. The sink and hob holes were cut in the factory. The two tap holes were cut on-site. The same guy then came back to fit the worktop and the sink as the sink is inset under the worktop. 

It’s from these guys. 

https://www.stoneworldltd.com/products/cliveden/

IMG_1488.thumb.jpeg.445c289b3bd0f77f4ce2160629b73ce4.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I say scary as we had joiners cut a hole in our oak worktop. They traced the upside down sink and cut that size, Then balanced it on the brackets and siliconed so we couldn't see it wasn't sitting on the wood......until it moved a bit and I looked underneath....horror.

A much better joiner cut a basin into a composite worktop and was clearly very nervous.

That really is a rookie error. Our utility room worktop is also oak and the enamel sink came with a template to mark out so that was easy enough. What I have been putting off is knocking the hole out for the tap. Bit of tape on the thinner pre-marked hole, drill a hole in it, gently tap out with a centre punch and hammer. Been sat there staring at me for several weeks to get on with it. 😂 

50 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

knocking the hole out for the tap.

Same good joiner wouldn't do it. I did.

I think that as long as the  sink is sat solidly on carpet or similar, then there's no problem. Startlingly tentatively with a cold chisel or old screwdriver, nothing happened. Then at the right force it popped out leaving a jagged edge which was easily trimmed.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Kitchen and utility room finished. I need to fit the overflow for the utility room as it wasn’t in the pack and fit some black laminate tape to the top and bottom of the cookers as the light grey carcass stands out like a sore thumb. The sink drawer unit has been a pia but I managed to get the kitchen manufacturer to make me two short drawers and I cut out the back of the top drawer to get it to go past the sink. Feels a bit bodgy but it works and looks fine. I’ve made a bit of an arse of the Quooker plumbing insofar that the flex bit doesn’t really work as the weight is fouling the other hoses. I’m not entirely sure I can fix it to be much better. A job for another day. Main thing is we have hot and cold water in the house now. 
IMG_1624.thumb.jpeg.68c7598a05a5fb2359720cb4ab46c8af.jpegIMG_1626.thumb.jpeg.a24da77bf6bd6a9c0afd8d70231e3a81.jpegIMG_1627.thumb.jpeg.94236a471b309cd5aeb415693cbe982c.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Kitchen and utility room finished. I need to fit the overflow for the utility room as it wasn’t in the pack and fit some black laminate tape to the top and bottom of the cookers as the light grey carcass stands out like a sore thumb. The sink drawer unit has been a pia but I managed to get the kitchen manufacturer to make me two short drawers and I cut out the back of the top drawer to get it to go past the sink. Feels a bit bodgy but it works and looks fine. I’ve made a bit of an arse of the Quooker plumbing insofar that the flex bit doesn’t really work as the weight is fouling the other hoses. I’m not entirely sure I can fix it to be much better. A job for another day. Main thing is we have hot and cold water in the house now. 

Looking 👍

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Very pleased with our wood floor upstairs. It’s not as dark as the picture shows. The second picture is how it matches against the top tread of the staircase which is yet to be oiled. It’s clearly going to be different but I’ll get it close based on some trials I’ve done. Also just about finished the bathroom downstairs. I have the loo, sink and vanity unit to fit this week then the complicated looking shower! 

The doors, linings, architraves and skirting arrive this week so we are getting close! End of May is the plan for moving in. Stupidly we are also doing the Cateran Yomp (54 miles in 24 hours) which is on the 8/9 June. We did it last year and I can barely walk for two weeks after it! 

IMG_1733.thumb.jpeg.18c67432543da8017c526232a4b52d83.jpegIMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.95213320df908d63d3c1ccc6d0bc0390.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Kelvin said:

The second picture is how it matches against the top tread of the staircase which is yet to be oiled. It’s clearly going to be different but I’ll get it close based on some trials I’ve done.

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.95213320df908d63d3c1ccc6d0bc0390.jpeg

I'd be happy with that, matches the newel and give demarcation for the step.  

Just when I thought all my problems were behind me. The very last thing I’ve ordered is the doors. Due for delivery this week. Called earlier to get an update. Apparently they were delivered on Monday. Well not to me they weren’t. Am I sure they ask me. 😂 They have a POD which is literally a squiggle. They are getting the GPS co-ords of the delivery location. Like I care about that because it’s not here. Been round my three neighbours just in case. Ffs. 

• Sad 1

Panic over. I gave up with waiting on the door supplier and went direct to the manufacturer. They confirmed the doors are due for delivery today and weren’t delivered on Monday. The POD the supplier had was confirming the courier had received the doors not that they had been delivered. Idiots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Panic over. I gave up with waiting on the door supplier and went direct to the manufacturer. They confirmed the doors are due for delivery today and weren’t delivered on Monday. The POD the supplier had was confirming the courier had received the doors not that they had been delivered. Idiots. 

Had this a few times further North, when the initial delivery company drops the Items in Inverness to another delivery company. The item shows up as delivered, but in reality its at a depot 100 miles South.

Hermes / Evri on the other hand just say they tried to deliver it so its not late..   I've had at least 10  missed deliveries where my driver, Martin couldn't deliver my item due to nobody being in, were always in and the time stamps are usually just before midnight - i.e. its not late yet....:)

We finally have a flushing loo that isn’t a fly ridden blue plastic box. I claimed the right of jus primae. Shower next so we’ll have one working bathroom. Doors will be finished this week too so we can move in at the end of the month. 

IMG_1814.thumb.jpeg.dbf9d4459dccddb7f36f2646b5b9dbed.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, markharro said:

Can I ask you @Kelvin how you found this company and if you recommend them? Was the price competitive given they are a fair way from you (and me)?

Through a neighbour who had used them. They are in Scotland every week. The day they templated ours they did three others in the nearby town. The quality is good. The guys that fitted it were efficient and careful. Ours is just over 3m by 1.3m so quite big. It wasn’t cheap but I didn’t find any of the suppliers that cheap. 

There wasn’t much difference in price. I think the quartz was slightly cheaper. It was more the colour as my wife wanted white. I also recall them saying they had a size limit on a single piece of granite which was slightly narrower than our island. Primarily it came down to colour though.