Are geotextile membranes the same?

Vijay

Had a few quotes for geotextile membrane to go under type 1 mot and wondered what the difference in them is as they price has varied. I understand I need non woven as it's non permeable, but the price has varied from £1 m2 to £110 for a 100 x 4.5m roll which is 27p m2

Your near Midlands aren't you?

EH Smith do 2 good ones. The black one is around 100 quid. Supposed to be non permable but I've noticed water pool on it. White one is better but closer to 200 quid. I've used both before

Wait till you start talking to groundworks people. They reckon there's about 500 different specs. 

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Supposed to be non permable but I've noticed water pool on it.

Have I got this wrong??. I thought non permeable didn't allow water (and others) to pass through, so surely water would pool on it.

OK, now I know I'm on the correct tack I will ask this question of Vijay, and the answer may be simple but I'm just too thick to see it.

What would be the reason to use a non permeable membrane under MOT1, surely this will just hold water. I would have thought you would need a permeable membrane to contain the MOT1 but let liquids pass through.

Edit

Just had a thought. is it to stop water from rising into the MOT1 and not the way my mind is working???

Edited by RichS

Hi Rich,

I'll be having a drain at the front of the drive so I'd want to water running down into it. If I was making the drive permeable, I would use type 3 to allow the water to drain through to the ground. But I think I'm correct in saying that won't really happen in clay like I have, hence the run off and drain

18 hours ago, Vijay said:

Hi Rich,

I'll be having a drain at the front of the drive so I'd want to water running down into it. If I was making the drive permeable, I would use type 3 to allow the water to drain through to the ground. But I think I'm correct in saying that won't really happen in clay like I have, hence the run off and drain

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for the answer. Must admit I never gave clay a thought and now it makes sense. Very sandy where I am so water just disappears :)