Do you have experience of DIY kitchens’ bespoke painted range?

Adsibob

We are getting DIY Kitchens units. We want to use their bespoke painted option in one of the farrow and ball colours. Speaking to them on the phone, I now realise that it is not actual F+B paint; they colour match, or at least try to. Anyone know how accurate the colour matching is? It doesn’t need to be identical, but it does need to work with the rest of our colour scheme (which has been chosen on the basis of working with the F&B sample pot). For £66 they will send me a sample door painted in the fake F+B colour I choose, but it adds almost two weeks to the process of getting our kitchen. Wife says not to bother, architect says it’s essential. Who is right?

funnily enough we have just gone  through exactly this decision. Bespoke colours add 20% to the price so we are going standard and if we don't like it when it is installed, we will paint it - will save £1000 by not going bespoke, doubt it would cost any more to pay someone to paint it!

55 minutes ago, Andy brown said:

funnily enough we have just gone  through exactly this decision. Bespoke colours add 20% to the price so we are going standard and if we don't like it when it is installed, we will paint it - will save £1000 by not going bespoke, doubt it would cost any more to pay someone to paint it!

Only downside of that approach is that  painting it won’t give you the same protective finish you get with their paintwork. It is somehow plasticised and cured so that it is really tough.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Only downside of that approach is that  painting it won’t give you the same protective finish you get with their paintwork. It is somehow plasticised and cured so that it is really tough.

Fair comment, but if it gets damaged you can always repaint it.

That said, best to get it right first time and my approach is only a fall back option...

15 hours ago, markc said:

The tough finish is achieved using 2 pack vehicle refinishing paint, also works fantastically well on Upvc and aluminium frames (with an etch primer for Alu)

I used to make display panels for Shell, the painter came to me one day with a sample. It looked the same as the other speckled panels he had been painting for a year or so.

Then he ran a large bastard file over it. No damage.

I should have noted down what the two pack paint was called.

Also, I used a resin with diamond powder in it, that was tough.

• Like 1

The reason they cant call is a F&B colour as that is trademark protected. So they can only do a colour match. This will leave you with a slight colour varition but its perfectly  acceptable.

Dont be under the impression that you can buy a painted kitchen and paint over it if you dont like it. Spray painted kitchens use a 2 part polyurethane paint and this cures after spraying. If you need to paint over you need to sand the paint, reprime and paint it and its not going to be be cheap. If you hand paint it you wont get the finish.

As stated above, 2 samples from different batches can look very different together.

If you watch paint being mixed, there are sometimes miniscule amounts of a certain colour added, and if it drips in completely or some sticks to the nozzle, there will be a different colour.

I know that when you buy metal cladding in a standard colour, factory dipped, it has to be single batch or the difference can be unacceptable. so replacement of a damaged one is a problem. If buying coloured paint try to get it all at once in a single mix.

So colour matching is not a problem, the colour is not patented, only the name.

The same paint on different surface materials  will also look different.

I have recently seen a kitchen system being repainted a different colour, diy with 'proper' paint for the job. Looks good, but does look painted, not factory coated. that was deemed to be ' a good thing'....rustic/artisan.