Timber to Steel I beam. Which method?

Joe87

Hi All,

I need to connect some 9 x 2 roof joists for a warm roof inside an i beam that spans across the 4 meter door i have.

Ive seen a few ways of doing it but wondered which way people thought was best/ had done themselves.

If you look at the photo, i was planning to have some wood under the joist across the bottom of the I beam (sitting under all the joists at this point to bring them up to the block walls either side so the roof is level) and then cutting a section of the top of the joist so it sits flush against the back of the Steel plate. Does this sound like an ok way to do it? If so, obviously i cant strap the wall plate down to a wall like i would the other joists so how do i make sure this is all tight? Do i need to drill from the other side of the i beam through to the joists and bolt them in? Im assuming just having them "wedged" isnt going to be enough.

The other end of the joists will be on wall plates and strapped down against the wall.

Thanks for any help. I hope that all makes sense.

Cheers

Joe

20210625_185524.jpg

20210625_185531.jpg

11 hours ago, nod said:

I normally bolt a timber inside the bean 

Then nail joist hangers to the timber 

From looking more at it today I agree that this seems an easier way of doing it. What size bolts would you suggest nod? Also I need the joists to be slightly higher then the steel beam to bring it into line with the joists that will be on the walls to either side. Do I achieve this by putting a length of timber of whatever thickness needed, across the top of the steel beam and attaching the top of the hangers to that to get the joist height? Alot of the hangers seem to only allow for the joists to be aligned with the timber its attached to. Again, I hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help and suggestion aswell. 

11 hours ago, nod said:

I normally bolt a timber inside the bean 

Then nail joist hangers to the timber 

I would use 18 mil bolts 600 apart 

Mark out where your joists are going to make sure the hangers don’t clash 

You can lift the hangers or even add a timber wall plate to the top 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nod said:

I would use 18 mil bolts 600 apart 

Mark out where your joists are going to make sure the hangers don’t clash 

You can lift the hangers or even add a timber wall plate to the top 

I’m guessing that’s 8mm not 18

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

M10 bolts are fine for connecting the timber to the beam.

If you use the universal / adjustable hangers you can face fix or wrap over to set the joists at the level you want.

https://www.strongtie.co.uk/products/detail/joist-hanger-with-adjustable-height-strap/769

Thankyou for the link!! That's just what I needed. Have been looking at hangers and wondering if you could adjust them or not. This is really helpful. Thanks. The joists need to be higher up on the face board so being able to wrap over makes it alot easier. 

18 hours ago, Temp said:

+1

We filled in the web both sides and used similar joist hangers with long tail that wrapped over the top of the I beam and were nailed both sides.

Excellent, that's exactly what I had in mind so I'm glad to hear someone else has done it. I'll need a wooden beam on inside and outside of I beam anyway so it makes sense to wrap over and nail to both sides. Don't suppose you know what hangers you used??