Planning permission or PD for a garage

Jonathan1969

We are finalising our plans for the house and plot.  I have (another!) question which I wouldn't mind getting people's thoughts on

We have planning permission for the house but are now thinking of adding a garage

Option 1 - build it to the side of the house - after the house is completed and therefore build as a permitted development (within height etc restrictions)

Option 2 - go for another planning permission and build to the front/side of the house (i.e. in front of the house frontage)

Couple of questions

1. I assume that I can't start the application process for the garage permission until the house is completed??  (I don't want to amend the planning permission for the house as this may delay our build start..... is that right?)

2. If we go the planning permission route and were turned down, can we then still go the permitted development route (the garage would be in a different location to satisfy PD rules) 

Thanks for any thoughts

Is it a new build? If so, then including the garage in the planning with get you the VAT back. Building it as PD will require you to pay the VAT.

I'd go option 3, amend the existing planning, and carry on building what you currently have planning for, only starting the garage if they pass your amended plans.

Yes, if they refuse planning on the garage, you can go the PD route - assuming no conditions on the planning that remove PD.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 2

Or option 4 - Buy all/most of the materials for your house, but make sure to order plenty spare... get the VAT back and use to build your garage with the spare...

This is a little deceptive but arguably you would get the VAT claim on it anyway, but it would need done with the house, this just saves you planning hassle if a PD garage suits. 

Just a thought.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IanR said:

Is it a new build? If so, then including the garage in the planning with get you the VAT back. Building it as PD will require you to pay the VAT.

I'd go option 3, amend the existing planning, and carry on building what you currently have planning for, only starting the garage if they pass your amended plans.

Yes, if they refuse planning on the garage, you can go the PD route - assuming no conditions on the planning that remove PD.

If they refuse the permission can they remove PD rights ..... or can they only remove PD rights when they grant permission ?

My current planning permission doesn't have any conditions on PD

Interesting! I haven’t had my pd rights removed- it’s just a pain to complete the build before being able to use them! But- if they don’t revoke them I guess I could apply again.

what really interests me is how far they’ll amend plans on a section 73...because I’m not sure I can face planning!