Cost difference between gas boiler and ASHP

Moonshine

I was chatting to a plumber earlier discussing my house build and he reckoned that the cost difference between a ASHP and a gas boiler was about £6-8k when you factor installation, for use with a hybrid mixture of rads and underfloor heating

Has any one got any other sources that gives an idea on the difference in cost? assuming no RHI so only looking initial costs

Edited by Moonshine

3 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I was chatting to a plumber earlier discussing my house build and he reckoned that the cost difference between a ASHP and a gas boiler was about £6-8k when you factor installation, for use with a hybrid mixture of rads and underfloor heating

Did that include digging up an existing floor, insulating and recasting?

And did he cost in connecting to the gas main if it is further away than the free connection. Was going to visit £20,000 to connect my house.

One of those things that cannot really be compared purely in hardware prices.

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And did he cost in connecting to the gas main if it is further away than the free connection. Was going to visit £20,000 to connect my house.

This is a new build, i don't think that this included gas connection from the main, but in my case the gas main is in the road outside and if i recall correctly wasn't that much to connect to the mains

11 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

This is a new build, i don't think that this included gas connection from the main, but in my case the gas main is in the road outside and if i recall correctly wasn't that much to connect to the mains

So probably comparing a basic combination boiler with a proper HP installation.

Why don't they compare a system boiler to a non MCS setup.

The only fair comparison is gas system boiler with UVC Vs ASHP and UVC both excluding the radiators / UFH (as you need those whichever you install) excluding subsidies and assuming installed by an ordinary plumber and electrician (not some over priced scheme with a bumped up price to deprive the customer of any benefit from the subsidy schemes)

Anything else can be skewed however you want it depending on how the green energy subsidies are manipulated.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I've had a connection over the max 35m subsidy length on private land before. Was prepared to use trax pipe for the 're remaning 10 or 20 with a renote boundary box but some folding gear in the boys pockets soon sorted that issue. Proper box out front of house no trax in sight. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The only fair comparison is gas system boiler with UVC Vs ASHP and UVC both excluding the radiators / UFH (as you need those whichever you install) excluding subsidies and assuming installed by an ordinary plumber and electrician (not some over priced scheme with a bumped up price to deprive the customer of any benefit from the subsidy schemes)

Anything else can be skewed however you want it depending on how the green energy subsidies are manipulated.

So how does it work any idea? I know a lot here can mess about with there own heat pumps whereas you need gas safe for boiler but again not a fair comparison. You need to allow full rate labour for installation of both. I suppose it would be fair to take the gas connection cost (or add the connection on to gas option 400?) Off the ashp route. You're always going to need leccy but gas wouldn't be needed with ashp