Site address, Electric supply & meter, VAT, council tax

Not commenced build, but have a date for electric supply new connection to the planned house. Will be electric supply for builder, to begin with. 

SSE write "Please can you confirm the postal address for the new property so I can request the mpan.  This is the reference that you will require for your meter to be installed."

Many here advise getting a SMETS2 smart meter. Can a SMETS2 meter be installed on a bare plot? Or does it have to wait for a building (not yet constructed)? 

The Council here charge for registering a new postal address. Any potential pitfalls registering a new address (as opposed to "Land rear of no. 00, AB1 2CD")? re council tax, eventual VAT reclaim?

Trying to achieve:

1) Electric supply to site that can eventually supply the new house

2) SMETS2 meter for the new house (unsure if that can be installed at the construction stage, before the installation of a meter box in the eventual new house)

3) Avoidance of any complications re council tax, VAT reclaim etc

What would you do?

PS Govt guidance: "It is important that all domestic new build properties are registered on the Post Office
database before any meter installs are carried out, to ensure that the WAN status is known."

Edited by WWilts

I never registered my address oficcially.  Everyone knows about it and it is on every address database except the Postcode Address File held by Royal Mail.  None of the utilities had any problem with this and the address is now on their own address databases.

For the council tax, they preceeded the address with "Caravan" to give it it's own entry on the valuation list.

• Like 1

SSE refused to give us a meter until we had a UPRN for the address, I think it was £100. The irony being that the PO wont make it live until it's occupied and the address for planning was something like "land 200m to the west of xx farm" which has now made it on to some address databases. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Just get an ordinary meter and swap it for a smart meter when it’s all finished. Land at xyz etc is fine for an install 

+1

It works for everything we found. We only got an official address in the last month of the build. Could do it bit earlier but never occurred to us. 

Consider fixing up a temporary post box on the site fencing as we did have some companies send quotes to the site address instead of where we were living. 

• Like 1