Interesting Design Features ... Or Not

Interesting new small close in the villlage of Blidworth - Belle View Lane.

These are selling for £269k each.

Not much of a Belle Vue from those neighbouring dormer windows.

And so tight on the site.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-45368523.html

Ferdinand

belle-vue-lane-269k.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I believe they may be bathrooms, but even so they should be positioned the same on both bearing in mind sun etc.

But the houses are mirror images, so at best one will be optimised for the sun and the other not. More likely is the orientation of the sun never entered the designers thought process so both probably get a north facing living room and south facing utility room.....

Looking at the floorplan, the facing dormers are bathrooms. As I thought, the living room is at the back, which if the plan is "north up" faces East, so your average working familly will get home of an evening to a living room and rear garden in shade.  Still, the two bedrooms at the front will be overheated by the afternoon sun to ensure an uncomfortable nights sleep.

I wonder what the floor plan of the other 3 is like? they at least have a south facing garden.

I go for East / South Kitchens (breakfast), South living rooms (or pref. triple aspects) - which maybe in the kitchen these days, and west bathrooms and bedrooms.

And North facing conservatories. 

Edited by Ferdinand

That site is a Julian Owen special ... made an offer on it that was declined - services and access are a pig - and it had previous outline PP. 

I've looked at the proposals and howled as they're awful and the average price round there is £145k....

On 06/03/2017 at 22:30, PeterW said:

That site is a Julian Owen special ... made an offer on it that was declined - services and access are a pig - and it had previous outline PP. 

I've looked at the proposals and howled as they're awful and the average price round there is £145k....

@PeterWThat is presumably code for something you might like to tell me via PM :P.

Had a look and a tour. Looking at the site, it is very tight and obviously built out to the max with small gardens and insufficient wight given to orientation (imo). Driven by the amount that had to be paid for the plot? (What was the advertised price?) Privacy quite compromised by large windows onto the cul-de-sac road for a couple of them.

There are 7 detached bungalows on the site now. These 5 and two more modern style on the way in as a separate application. Also 5 terraces under a separate app on the adjacent site. Interesting little backlands development area of exactly the type we should be using now. These 5 bungalows replace a previous app for 4 houses.

belle-vue-gardens-google.jpg.f91f054d69eb560739323ec26dc81558.jpg

belle-vue-gardens.jpg.5675acd2656bce11e44306aaec700294.jpg

1 = 5 2.5 story terrace/semi dwellings.

https://publicaccess.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MQCF47LB68000

2 = 2 detached bungs on back garden. Carefully argued Application. Would have been easy to trip up.

https://publicaccess.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/online-applications/caseDetails.do?caseType=Application&keyVal=O8ICARLBISS00

3 = 5 big bungs as described in op (2 chalet)

https://publicaccess.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NZCFM2LB0A400

4 = Previous app for 4 det. houses.

https://publicaccess.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MBZ216LB68000

(Hope those links work)

Densities are all approx 30/ha. Existence of adjacent PPs used in justification.

On the site under discussion, all generous rooms and all bedrooms doubles, but upvc double glazing. The two non-traditional designs had a dark grey upvc double glazing where the frames were surprisingly effective looking from a distance.

Someone has convinced the builder it is to "highest possible standards" (shades of "best possible taste"). Finish perhaps, but the cavity walls are 110mm rockwool cavity ie basic building regs. Quite nice kitchen/living areas and some views over playing fields, but the orientations ... ouch.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

@PeterWThat is presumably code for something you might like to tell me via PM :P.

Nothing more than you end up with some samey style "selfbuilds" that you can pick up on any developer site - most are backlands developments and inflated prices for land with outline PP

interesting to see that they got PP for those bungalows as the road down the side of the Red House is  privately owned and not that wide. 

The land with the 5 terrace / semis on it has been up for sale a number of times too. 

May have the plans somewhere for what we proposed - it was upside down houses as the full top floor was pretty open plan and took in the view out of the back across the playing fields and up to the woods. Issue we found was making the money back on the infrastructure costs as unless they have gone down the hill into the back of a sewer somewhere via a garden, the drains needed a pumping station.