Greetings from Surrey householder trying to update the family home

Edders

Hello,

found my way here after searching for info on upgrading water mains as part of a family home renovation.

I find it difficult to get builders/trade around for quotes and when they do turn up, they don't bother doing the quote.

In 5 weeks I've had 1 quote, from the first builder that turned up, it's like pulling teeth, many can't be bothered. Not sure why.

I've got planning permission, I've got drawings, I know what I want for most things.

I've got a garage conversion, kitchen and bathroom refit. I'll probably have the heating upgraded too. Much be some profit there for someone.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a rant. 

• Like 1

there is so much work on at the moment that builders can pick and choose.

just to add to the complication, make sure that you check builders references and see some of their previous work.

and don't pay up front.

• Like 1

First as LSB says the market is very hot and secondly there's the problem with obtaining materials, and then there is the increasing cost of the materials. I am already storing the materials for the next 3 (all be it small works) jobs and paid £78 for copper pipe which cost me £57 last year.

I'm not surprised your not happy. I have even advised my brother in law to hold off (not sure his misses is speaking to me).  Brother in law's shed order: delivery second week of September!

Its not a rant it's frustration!  I have the same problem myself. Delivery today: half missing and on back order I wouldn't mind but they delivered the walls but not the floor!

Marvin

43 minutes ago, Edders said:

where all the cash is coming from

People like US - you, me and most of the other forum members - spending the kids inheritance so they can inherit bricks and mortar, although in our case mostly timber and fiber cement!

16 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

People like US - you, me and most of the other forum members - spending the kids inheritance so they can inherit bricks and mortar, although in our case mostly timber and fiber cement!

I can't disagree with that.

Well I suppose I better crack on with it. Luckily there seems to be quite a pool of knowledge here.

• Like 1