Solar PV - sitting on the fence

Leaway

I know there was lots of discussion on the old site about Solar PV with the recent changes by the government on feed in tariffs. I'm still sitting on the fence but need to decide soon and wonder what the general consensus was?

I already have planning permission for Solar PV so that's not and issue, but I originally had plans for a 4kw system to take advantage of the south facing roof and the feed in tariff. Now the FiT has been reduced my thoughts are reverting to just self install and free electricity diverted to the water tank via Immersion or such solutions. This is a long term home with slate roof and bedded in panels.

At the moment plugin solar have Quote £3100 for a 2 kw system with panels paired with micro inverters as the roof will become part shaded in the evening.

The local PV supplier has said it's still worthwhile to go down the MCS FiT route (obviously he would say that :)) and has finger in the air quoted £3.5k which would still create a few hundred pounds return per year. He's also suggesting going for the full 4kw and maybe chuck the other panels on a shed roof to get on the MCS FiT system as a full system.

He doesn't have many good things to say about the GSE in roof system but personally i think these are just that (views) and not supported by any facts. He referred to the long term robustness of them having recently fitted some that broke during install.

I think the self install vs MCS is a said for the 2kw system if his quote of £3.5k stands but just wondered on the views of 

1) going for the full 4kw (future crystal ball gazing with  the government's challenges at Hinkley point would the FiT rise and therefore add 2kw separate system later?

2) views on the in roof systems for robustness and heat issues?

Well with at least 4 more years of a tory gov.  Id say there is no chance in the medium term of FIT going back up.

Will labour stand a chance at the next election with JC at the helm?  I'll wait for the results of the EU Ref first before comment.

Labour would likely be better placed to revive the system but there isn't great love for it in Brussels or so i've been told so hard to know if it will ever return.

You'd think with all the fines that will be hitting govt over the next 10 years because of failed emission targets they would pull the finger out instead of going backwards.

And if you are going DIY install there are much cheaper systems on ebay! 

The best I can see for a non MCS system for DIY install is currently £2995 for 4KW http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-4kW-MCS-Solar-PV-Kit-System-for-new-build-self-build-developer-SAP-/322102752999?hash=item4afed1f6e7:g:YqsAAOSwiYFXGZvX

I have seen 4KW DIY system for closer to £2000 so worth keeping an eye out for a bargain.

This is almost certainly something like I will install, the FIT paymenta re so low now it's hardly worth paying much extra MCS premium.

33 minutes ago, Stones said:

£3100 for a 2kWp self install systems seems very expensive.  You can get a 3.68kWp MCS in roof system fitted today, £4500.  I can PM you company details if you like.

Yes please recommendations welcomed

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The best I can see for a non MCS system for DIY install is currently £2995 for 4KW http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-4kW-MCS-Solar-PV-Kit-System-for-new-build-self-build-developer-SAP-/322102752999?hash=item4afed1f6e7:g:YqsAAOSwiYFXGZvX

I have seen 4KW DIY system for closer to £2000 so worth keeping an eye out for a bargain.

This is almost certainly something like I will install, the FIT paymenta re so low now it's hardly worth paying much extra MCS premium.

But in the non MCS install world, is a 4kW system the optimum size?  Maximising generation is no longer the object (unless you have a means to dump excess generation which for a 4kW system at the peak of summer means both DHW and a battery system which adds to the cost)  I had hoped to install solar PV, but the local company wnated £6500 for an in roof system - a ridiculous sum.  I had a quote for £1K less from a firm in Bolton who was willing to travel all the way up here, but even then the economics of it are at best borderline.  I've been thinking about this and have concluded that a 1.5 or 2kW non MCS / DIY ground mounted system with excess dump to DHW is probably going to be the optimum solution for us.

13 minutes ago, Stones said:

But in the non MCS install world, is a 4kW system the optimum size?...I've been thinking about this and have concluded that a 1.5 or 2kW non MCS / DIY ground mounted system with excess dump to DHW is probably going to be the optimum solution for us.

A very relevant point. Here at 57N, iIn November, December, January & February our WSW facing 4kWp produce very little, then in March suddenly we are exporting. For the last few days, the export each day has been as much as we generated in the whole of our poorest December!

That said, I think that ProDave has in mind splitting the install into several groups, pointing in different directions, which may affect his choice.

Edit: an => a

Edited by DavidWright

We had 7.6 kWp split over SE and SW roof on our last house.  There were slight extensions to the period of generation in the morning and afternoon, but we still had high levels of generation (6kW peak, 50 -60 kWh per day!) during the day, You can flatten the curve a bit, but will still have a peak generation point.  Unless sized correctly, you will have no choice but to export, and if a non MCS install, probably wouldn't be getting paid for it (unless you have negotiated to export).

Yes my plan has always been one 2KW (or there abouts) string facing slightly south of East to catch the morning sun and start usable generation as early as possible, then the second string facing south, or even a little west of South to take over as the sun comes round. A lower, but more constant generation should be more easy to self use. Possibly later on something facing west, but that's harder to arrange without it appearing to be in my front garden (all going to be ground mounted)

On 26 May 2016 at 13:55, ProDave said:

Do you have the link to that dave? I may consider an off grid 2kw for the shed roof with space to add more later. As I'll then be generating a good bit of excess it'll get dumped into a big DIY thermal store to pre heat the cold supply to my Combi. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Do you have the link to that dave? I may consider an off grid 2kw for the shed roof with space to add more later. As I'll then be generating a good bit of excess it'll get dumped into a big DIY thermal store to pre heat the cold supply to my Combi. 

That really cheap one was just after the savage cut in FIT so probably just someone dumping stock. I have not seen anything so cheap since.

Anyone heard or experienced the Viridian and Schlepper integrated solar PV systems? local installer has suggested these instead of the GSE system but never heard of these systems? or the costs comparison