Hello - looking to build in Scotland

Hello everyone, and thank you for letting me join this forum

We are about to embark on a new build in Scotland. We have found a plot that we intend to offer on in the near future, and have also found a builder to basically manage the whole project.

The plot already has planning permission and we are happy with the permission that has been granted and so will just continue with the build along those lines.

If anyone can help, I am still trying to find a solicitor in Scotland (preferably Edinburgh) who has self builder client experience – I will need him/her to help with the offer and purchase of the land and also contracting with the builder. Does anyone on here have any experience, or would recommend, a solicitor? I have searched Google until I’m blue in the face, but can’t identify a solicitor who has worked with self build clients, at least not from looking at their webpages. If anyone does know of a solicitor and could let me know that would be hugely useful, thank you.

So we will keep updating on here as we progress on here, and I’m sure we will also have lots of questions and requests, so apologies in advance!

jonathan 

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

i and welcome.

I could recommend a solicitor in Inverness, but that may not be so convenient for you?

On the basis most meetings will be by video/phone, and the plot we have seen is own the West Coast, that recommendation would be great ProDave.  I'd rather have someone that understand self build, than someone that doesn't but is local!

Hi, any conveyancing solicitor should be able to handle the land purchase. 

My understanding is that people tend to use a standard building contract from Scottish Building Contract Committee, that's what we did using this one:  https://www.scottishbuildingcontracts.com/files/5d2f356ca54fd-sbc559.pdf your builder should be familiar with it. 

Generally the architect administers the contract etc with solicitors only being involved if it goes horribly wrong. Our architect has been very good on that front.

Edited by Ralph
  • Thanks 1