Patio buildup

Hi,

We have 2 very large slider set of windows that are designed so the tiles run through the lower section of the window frame . We want to continue the tiles out to the patio area to the front and side where we have these windows.

1173084616_ScreenShot2021-04-26at12_45_46.png.7d1e372a1fb5480c46d362a426915522.png

I need to get this sorted now, but have no idea of the build up or if I need to pay attention to the DPC etc. I was going to follow the plans here and have a very slight slope to a slot drain sitting 300mm out from the windows, and then the rest of the patio (1.75m x length ) again with a very slight slope. These will continue with the tiles (exterior version).

I was just thinking to box/shutter the area in, then fill with rubble (as I have lots), fill in with some form of sand/cement mix or type 1. Then a thin layer of concrete on top to be able to lay the tiles. Ideally some self level would of been the best to get a good flat area for tile laying, but then not idea for run off.  Though given the patio is not very wide do I really need to worry about this?. If the concrete layer needs to have a gentle say 5 degree slope then its going to take a skilled builder to get a good flat service with that sort of fall which I definitely could not manage myself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

If the linear drain is going full length this is how I would do it..

Set up the linear drain on the hardcore with some cement first. Then next day when that's set up use it and a shuttering board to level the main concrete to the right fall.  Its basically the same way you level a slab for a shed but with a slope.

image.png.b6c687eccae702f5fa7a9be22b2d6516.png

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, gc100 said:

@Temp ah yes thanks - of course - didn't think of that. What about material buildup? What do you think?

Assuming the tiles will be fairly large format then you need a good solid slab that will not move. Build up similar to a house footing but you dont need the insulation. Plenty of well compacted stone/hardcore, blind if not crusher run, concrete with starter bars into the existing slab to prevent movement at the door threshold

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Assuming the tiles will be fairly large format then you need a good solid slab that will not move. Build up similar to a house footing but you dont need the insulation. Plenty of well compacted stone/hardcore, blind if not crusher run, concrete with starter bars into the existing slab to prevent movement at the door threshold

Good point about movement and yes the tiles are large format. Thanks

What is the detail of the wall make up?

I see a flaw there.  the gap between the door and the tile edge, lets any water that gets through onto the top of the wall that the door sits on.

I had exactly this discussion when fitting my slider recently.  Our door is set further out, so any water that gets through between the door and (in our case) decking runs down the front of the wall (protected by DPC) not onto the top of it.

Look carefully at your wall build up and see if you can set the sliding door further out.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

What is the detail of the wall make up?

I see a flaw there.  the gap between the door and the tile edge, lets any water that gets through onto the top of the wall that the door sits on.

I had exactly this discussion when fitting my slider recently.  Our door is set further out, so any water that gets through between the door and (in our case) decking runs down the front of the wall (protected by DPC) not onto the top of it.

Look carefully at your wall build up and see if you can set the sliding door further out.

That drawing is not actually how it ended up. The door/window is sitting on top of the wall flush, and and the frame has drain holes at the front. So I will need to have some form of soak away here (very little water) as well I just released thanks . The tiles will need to bridge this somehow. Any water that gets in between the door frame and the beginning of the tile will go down the edge of the wall its sitting on.