Buying Local..

So on the back of the comments made by @recoveringacademic about his Austro-Germanic house, I've gone the other way and found its surprisingly cheaper to buy local on some stuff..!

I was chatting to the local muck away contractor on Friday (he's £125 for 14 tonnes away...) about the cost of concrete. My quotes for Gen1 so far had been AI (£103), MKM (£86) and Travis Perkins (£76) for 28 cubic metres. He asked if I had tried the local concrete plant and I gave them a call..... 28 cubic metres of Gen1 sir..? £71 a cube... 

Followed it up with a conversation about flowcrete/self compacting and I've got a best price of £141 including fibre for 8 cube... his price is £115 as I'm only 10 mins up the road and apparently its like transporting water !

Rang the quarry that the concrete place recommended and I've got my MOT1 at £4 a tonne cheaper than the best loose price from any of the merchants and apparently they supply both...

Next stop is the timber merchant up the road - apparently he's got 3,000 ft of C24 joists he needs to get rid of.... :ph34r:

I'm sure that some of the type 1 we used to line the basement excavation before putting down the EPS was made from our house rubble that we had carted away a week or so earlier. I recognised some of the parquet flooring...

I'd just be wary as to how much junk is in the type 1 - ours had taps, light fittings, wood, rope etc..

On 27/02/2017 at 11:07, dogman said:

@peterW is that new or recycled. My quarry is only 16 miles away.

Where are you? Are you able to name them maybe they will have somewhere local to me

Thats new MoT1 - quarry is Maltby and the haulier is John Owen Aggregates

• Like 1