Portable workbenches

Vijay

Having a twingy back this week, thought it would be handy to look at a portable workbench. I already have a Triton superjaws that I love and is my go to. I'm looking for a portable table kind of bench that I can work on that is nice and stable and I can throw into the car easy.

Found a Keter bench and wondered if anyone has used one or has any other options https://www.toolstation.com/keter-folding-work-bench/p10910?store=HA&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UhnCKbujyo0S_5vBikxSe1QfztnXvuhxfIKXkLJOikkr0KmUcAwuDEaAq4sEALw_wcB

Vijay

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have a black and decker workmate that I have had fir donkeys years and found invaluable, dual height, large jaws ?

Probably the same WM800 that I have had for over 30 years, very versatile and robust.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have the older all cast aluminium workmate, long before they went pressed steel. 

Try and find a second hand one and just put a new top on it as they normally are full of drill holes and saw cuts. 

+1, my original one broke so threw it away, the newer one (plastic handles and pressed steel) is not as good but still has done sterling service for many years. It’s not like me to renew, I usually mend old stuff ?‍♂️

ha, just looked on Ebay and loads there to choose from BUT the old ones are now collectible!!,!, who would have thought....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Vintage-Black-and-Decker-Folding-Metal-Workmate-Bench-Free-UK-Post/203272143081

?

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I have a black and decker workmate that I have had fir donkeys years and found invaluable, dual height, large jaws ?

Think I have the same one and vintage. However in the early stages of my build I did not have enough covered storage and the jaws got wet then turned to mush. Can they be replaced?

I've got my old B&D workmate hanging in the garage, haven't used it since getting my first Superjaws. Ideally looking for something with a larger worksurface as a bench though. I know I could just clamp a top on it but ideally one item to carry was what I was looking for.....................

I'll pull out the workmate though and see how I get on - cheers guys :)

20 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Think I have the same one and vintage. However in the early stages of my build I did not have enough covered storage and the jaws got wet then turned to mush. Can they be replaced?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BIRCH-PLY-VICE-JAWS-TOP-FOR-BLACK-DECKER-WORKMATE-WM550-Spare-parts/114768076889?hash=item1ab8b5e059:g:czkAAOSwEK9TuYfN

I am sure you could make your own, perhaps I could start a business (on seconds thoughts I have enough to do.......)

3 hours ago, Vijay said:

I've got my old B&D workmate hanging in the garage, haven't used it since getting my first Superjaws. Ideally looking for something with a larger worksurface as a bench though. I know I could just clamp a top on it but ideally one item to carry was what I was looking for.....................

I'll pull out the workmate though and see how I get on - cheers guys :)

Why not buy another one, keep one on site, and one mobile in the car van, then on site get an 8x4 top that stays on site. 

I have something completely different that is invaluable, I have an 8x4 bench on wheels, it sits in the middle of the biggest room I use it as a workstation for making up fiddly stuff and also for cutting sheet materials with the circular saw, just drop a sheet on top with a couple of bits of scrap wood underneath and I can just rip through with the saw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why not buy another one, keep one on site, and one mobile in the car van, then on site get an 8x4 top that stays on site. 

This wasn't for site mate, it's for when I do random odd jobs here and there ;)

Good idea with the 8x4 bench on wheels - which I'll do if/when I finally get there lol