Ugly SVP position

Hi all - We have just had our building warrant drawings returned for our approval prior to any submission. The SVP sticks out like a sore thumb - wasn't expecting that. Any thoughts on an alternative position or a better way to deal with it. To assist, the Bathroom and ensuite are at the front of the house [middle and right hand window as you look at the front].

As ever, I appreciate your thoughts.

PW

Doc1.pdf

Thanks @Nickfromwales we will be installing a treatment plant from Bio pure as there is no mains sewage - We are some months away from the ground works starting so no major problems at this stage of the project - the drawings have been sent for our approval and sadly the SVP is an obvious eyesore. I will mention your suggestion to the company as I will @ProDave comment.

I understand what @ProDave is suggesting but could you expand a little on yours, for the uneducated? Would a further plan of the bathroom and en suite layout assist?

Thanks PW.

I assume you are in Scotland so this may not be appropriate for you but can you not just terminate the s&v in the bathroom and fit a durgo valve.

English regs H1-1.33 seem to suggest this is acceptable and is exactly what I am intending to do, unless I'm reading things wrong.

@RichS yes we are in Scotland and I'm unsure at this stage what the regs are in respect of this issue - A durgo valve / Air admittance valve is something I was hoping for, so I will have to add this matter to the list of other queries I need to raise with those who drew up the drawings. Thanks for the suggestion.

PW.

What I mean by run it up inside I thought was obvious. I assume it comes up iin the corner of that front room, so instead of taking it straight up out of the roof, bend it at 45 degrees and follow the roof line up inside before turning again to exit higher up.

My BC inspector would not accept an AAV. What he would have accepted had I known at ground works time, would have been an extension to the drain run feeding a vent pipe running say up the gable end externally, then he would have accepted an AAV inside.

@ProDave, Thanks - yes it was obvious but I was referring to @Nickfromwales comment. Perhaps it was my clumsy explanation :$. Anyway, I'm grateful for the comments as I will certainly discuss these options when I speak with those about the drawings next week.

Was it to do with the regs that the BC stopped you having an AAV positioned internally, or some other reason?

PW.

Daves BCO acted accordingly for a property which would not, otherwise, have had a vent to atmosphere. By offering an alternative route to atmosphere he would have got off the hook, pretty much as he says above ;)

For the record, the vent does not have to assist / aid the rising pipe work in the property, it only has to vent the accumulative gasses / stench to atmosphere and can do this at pretty much any junction / location, as long as it's connected to the main foul network with an appropriately sized pipe. 

For eg, on the far right of your property you have a pine end, so you'd be able to rise up that to the highest point ( centre ) and terminate there, and you'd also be able to use the smaller size 3" pipe ( as its not taking any water / other ). 

Edited to add : with the above proposal you can then fit the AAV's accordingly where required, so you'll still need to accommodate the pipework internally and be able to access the AAV for inspection / replacement. 

I'm pretty sure there is a difference, even if it's only one of interpretation, between Scotland and England a Wales when it comes to venting foul drains, though.  Our building inspector was happy that the treatment plant was an effective vent, because there were no traps between the stack inside the house and the treatment plant.  He allowed me to fit an AAV inside the house, at the top of the stack and above the highest waste outlet, because the foul drain was vented by the treatment plant vent.  I've no idea why this is frowned upon in Scotland.

Edited by JSHarris

Yes, just to clarify, my BC inspector argued the far end of the drain run must vent to atmosphere. The treatment plant end is ventilated at the plant.  I had continued my drain run to serve our static caravan (which is going to remain) and provisioned a vent stack there, thinking that would be sufficient. The BC officer argued someone might remove the 'van and cap off that run of drain.  He would have accepted a stack up the gable end of the garage and then allowed just an AAV in the house with no roof penetration, but by this point that was already concreted over as a car parking area so it was too late to install that vent stack so begrudgingly I have vented the pipe through the roof. Being closer to the ridge I don't think it looks too bad.render_6_small.thumb.jpg.f5e7bf5e33a4781c5f44628442ddda56.jpg

If you do have to fit a vent pipe up through the heated envelope of the house, then worth looking at insulating it as well as you possibly can, as it will be a pretty effective "cold air chimney" that will act as a fairly significant thermal bridge.  It's the primary reason I didn't want to have to fit one.  In our old house the vent pipe runs in a boxed section in the bathroom and where it runs is always where condensation forms, as the damned thing is always cold.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 2

We adopted a similar approach to Jeremy.  Our two internal stacks terminate in AAVs.  We already had a branch to the kitchen, so we extended this round to our gable and have a ventilation stack there.  Our intent is to use an external AAV if the BIsnp OKs it, and even if he doesn't we might just end up having an accident after sign-off.  If we replace the full stack, then we'll use a short one with an external AAV

There's a general 'rule' down my neck of the woods. If at least 1 in 10 properties in a terraced run ( or run of properties known to share a sewer ) have a vent to atmosphere then they'll give you the ok to not vent and use AAV's. If your end of run then I'd endeavour to vent it TBH, only retro capping it if the stench ever becomes evident.