Cutting existing 110mm stack thats tight to the corner?

Barney12

Right this weekend I'm going to tackle a job I've been putting off for ages. I need to add a branch to the base of the existing stack which rises from the ground floor to the flat en-suite.

Its so I can put the outside toilet in for use by the various trades that will (hopefully) be arriving in due course.

Thankfully I think I can lift the stack up by a few hundred mm to aid popping the new branch in but the stack is fairly tight to the corner of the wall. So.....

I've got to cut out the section of 110mm stack, lift it up and somehow hold it up to enable me to core drill the wall for the branch, pop the new tee in, pop it back together and Bobs your best mate.

What I'm pondering is how to cut and chamfer the pipe? If it will twist (and until I cut away the plasterboard boxing in, I cant remember if the floor screed covers the joint) then the trusty Fien multi-tool will do just fine. But if it wont twist, what then? Pad saw? Hacksaw blade in a handle? But how am I going to chamfer round the back?

I have this crushing feeling this is a job that might put me in a bad mood :D

Any tips greatly received!

Pilot drill straight through the pipe all the way outside,

Then you can core from the outside in and not worry about propping the pipe up while you core from inside out.

If you are putting a T in then you can afford to lose a bit of the pipe anyway, 

6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Pilot drill straight through the pipe all the way outside,

Then you can core from the outside in and not worry about propping the pipe up while you core from inside out.

If you are putting a T in then you can afford to lose a bit of the pipe anyway, 

Now that is a good idea!

• Like 1

Remember to use a 127mm core not the smaller one for the actual soil pipe as the knuckle of the tee won't go into the recess left by the smaller size core.  ;). Saves you having to chip it out from inside and out.

Remember that for a clip to go onto a standard soil pipe run externally, the knuckle of the fitting outside ( if you are having a fitting directly outside of course ) will need to be recessed slightly into the wall too. Mock up a piece of pipe in 2 clips and hold it against the wall, measure the distance and compare it to the fitting, and you'll see what I mean. 

With regard chamfering the soil pipe I just tried zirconium flap discs( screwfix)  in a 115mm angle grinder and found them great, also if you can't lift the existing soil pipe go for a male top spigot and use a joiner and cut out the stop and it acts like a slip ring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Or just buy a slip coupling, as this is designed specifically to do this, without the need to cut anything out: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-110mm-Black-Soil-Pipe-Slip-Coupling/p/435224

Thats exactly what I went to buy this afternoon. I didn't have the upward movement I thought I'd have as I'd forgotten that the shower and basin wastes were solvent welded into the stack so it wasn't going anywhere! 

So here we go. It was the complete pia that I had expected! 

Before:

20170225_112726690_iOS.thumb.jpg.23bca02e9c876c3b0e04d9f14ede0348.jpg

Existing pipe cut:

20170225_130331163_iOS.thumb.jpg.89962ef406bc964cd0d9a55a66b999ff.jpg

Finally fitted. You can just make out the slip ring from Wickes. 

Alas as the biggest core drill I have is 117mm so couldn't do as @Nickfromwales recommended. But I had to chip away even more of th wall to allow me to swing the T into place. 

20170225_163140153_iOS.thumb.jpg.d2a9aaba601924b7c41a54dd65cc6a6e.jpg

• Like 3

So that's a productive weekend. All first fix for the outside bog sorted. Pipe runs for the H&C supplies were a right PIA too, I'm now crippled from crawling in the eve space to pick up the feeds!!

Thats going to save me a few quid on a portaloo for the various trades. :) Well it will when I get the bog fitted! Oh and I suppose I had better fit a door too :D 

Had to take a trip out to buy a real of 15mm hep pipe. Yes, I've definitely got some but could I find it in the container? Of course not. I expect I'll find it tommrow now :/ 

20170226_152047774_iOS.thumb.jpg.c2371e570a751dcd71be260c686f9f06.jpg

20170226_151511504_iOS.thumb.jpg.971dd17468a1e21420157b8a0d374865.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hot AND cold water. 

"Monsieur, your really spoiling us" :)

I must admit I hadn't intended to run a hot supply but by the time I had cut out the floor in the eves to reveal the pipework I thought "what the feck", now I'm here I may as well do both! 

• Like 1

By the way I cut out the 22mm chipboard floor with my little 10.8v Bosch circular saw. I bought it last year when I spotted it for £59 delivered (bare unit). It cut through the floor like a knife through butter!! First time I've used it in anger! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-06016A100-Li-Ion-Circular/dp/B00IO14B70

Edited by Barney12

35 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I must admit I hadn't intended to run a hot supply but by the time I had cut out the floor in the eves to reveal the pipework I thought "what the feck", now I'm here I may as well do both! 

34 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

They'll thank you for it. :)

indeed they will, its little touches like that , that get appreciated,

leave them a little tub of swarfega, and a brush, and tell them its up to them to keep it clean, and if they are decent trades it should be kept spotless, policed by themselves,

its not very often trades on site have proper toilet facilities to themselves,