Additional depth and width base unit

tanneja

Wanting to reduce the likely ambient noise produced by the washer and dryer once they are installed in the open plan living area. 

One thought is rather than a free standing "on show" washer dryer, or integrated, would be oversized base units that have the necessary depth and width to house free standing appliances, but could add sound insulation around the units.  Had planned to get the kitchen from DIY Kitchens.  This requirement, plus our want for a full height pocket door pantry (not done by DIY kitchens) is bring is a level of bespoke that I can't afford, or if done by the team of builders, the finish is a bit unknown.

You wouldn't see the side of the units, so could perhaps select a 700 or 800 base unit from DIY kitchen and have it not offered back to the wall, would 'just' mean deeper worktop over the base unit, but also probably double doors per unit rather than one nice door over the unit.

If anyone can set me straight, I would appreciate it.  Couldn't design another place for the utility in our retrofit unfortunately.

I would really really really think about siting the washer somewhere else.

We have a large kitchen / dining room, as well as a separate lounge, and we moved in early, way before the house was really ready and for a while used that space that incorporated the kitchen as a living room.  I really hated having even the noise of the fridge or the dishwasher in a living space, so would never tolerate the noise of a washer in there as well.

• Like 1

im sure they do units that are just the door/hinges and a small picture frame type carcass for stuff like this. get it 'dry built' so its not glued together. id probably get a 700 wide and stick some 50mm Kingspan down either side and on top. screwfix or tool station do some telescopic draw type runners that sit under the machine to help slide them in and out. then buy the quietest machine you can find. if not just buy a 700 door and some bum hinges and make a panel to bolt to one side. 

best to buy the sink/fridge/cooker units dry built too as you want to rip the back off to get appliances in.  

• Like 1

Check the decibel rating of each appliance as there can be a big difference

you can get stick on pads for use in cars to deaden vibration, sticking on the sides of appliances may help reduce noise.

if the appliance can be not in a direct line of sight of the seating that may help too

• Like 1