Drainage Issue - Clay Soil

Millster

We currently have a septic tank that drained into a dyke, the dyke doesn’t run anywhere and is just a ditch. We would like to fill in the dyke as it is an eye sore and overflows in heavy rain, but we are on heavy clay soils so are looking for an alternative drain, we are certain we would fail a percolation test so are unsure on options.

There is no magic to be had.  You can choose infiltration (unlikely on heavy clay), a sewer or a watercourse.

And instead of dykes I believe they are now called LGBTQ+, although I could be getting confused.

Edited by Mr Punter
  • Haha 5

It’s not just the aesthetics as such but more so the ditch doesn’t lead to anywhere and not draining due to the clay.

We aren’t near a watercourse either.

It obviously must drain eventually unless soaked up by the trees. 

Firstly a Septic tank should no longer drain to an open ditch or watercourse, you really should have replaced that with a waste treatment plant over a year ago.

If it really does not drain, look at an above ground filter mound, and a pumped outlet treatment plant.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Firstly a Septic tank should no longer drain to an open ditch or watercourse, you really should have replaced that with a waste treatment plant over a year ago.

Only if it fails or is being replaced in England and Wales - pretty crap but if it keeps “working” then this solution is allowed ..!! 

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Only if it fails or is being replaced in England and Wales - pretty crap but if it keeps “working” then this solution is allowed ..!! 

In Scotland they should have been replaced by 1st Jan 2020, but I know at least 2 here, including my next door neighbour, that still has a septic tank draining to a watercourse.

And I keep hearing adverts from a company in Essex on the radio telling listeners they have to have their septic tanks replaced if they drain to a watercourse.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Millster said:

... but more so the ditch doesn’t lead to anywhere and not draining due to the clay....

It occurs to me that the ditch - in use I bet for a very long time - is probably just blocked by  'over-use'.

Might it be a partial answer (to the overflow problem) to dig another ditch very close-by and discharge to that ? Then take the opportunity to clear the original ditch?