Only one stat calling for heat but all open!?!

ChristyJH

Hi all

interesting problem. House/floor felt quite warm today but none of the downstairs stats were calling for heat. Checked upstairs and one stat in far bathroom was call for heat. Checked manifold upstairs and down stairs and noticed flow rates on all of them, hence the warmth. Turned off the one stat calling for heat. All then stopped. Turned one back on and all came on. 

I did a complete power off to reset but not joy as same again. 

thoughts welcome 

thanks

14 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

Wired up wrong, a very common problem, I have even seen motorised valves opening other zones when one opens. Pic of wiring should help unless you can get at its brain. 

Yep I did it on ours 

I first fixed plumbing in freezing weather and wrote the wrong zone on the valve Quick fix when my electrician friend asked me Is it absolutely impossible that you have labeled them wrong 

As I said. Working fine all winter and I know because I was doing lots of individual zone testing (ie just one zone on to test flow rate and heat output etc). All fine. 

one thing. The system is 1 to 2 years old and had a power flush three weeks ago (as we had some issue with certain loops not getting hot). It’s only after that it’s gone wrong ( and was warm for two weeks after power flush so not really on) 

A picture of the white control box just out of shot above the first picture?  Make sure all thermostats are off except for the upstairs one when you take the picture.

Picture 1 shows no flow so I assume everything is off.  To make any diagnosis the pictures need to be take in "fault" mode, i.e. flow when there should not be.

I was hoping the control box would have some lights to show which zones are turned on, but no such luck.

I take it there is a separate manifold for upstairs?

Do you fancy taking the lid off that control box and take a picture inside?  Don't touch any wires.

Are there any lights on on that Wilo pump downstairs?

The flow rates showing are quite low, do they increase when you turn up the downstairs thermostats? (will take a couple of minutes from turning up the thermostat to see any change)

Photo of lid off. There are no single lights for each circuit but when you turn a downstairs stat on one light flashes for a bit then goes on fully and pump starts. There are no lights on when only one stat upstairs calling for heat and downstairs still showing flow. 

when I turn a downstairs stat on the flow on that circuit does increase a bit ( per your previous point about flow rate being low). 

could the the flow rates under the actuators need tightening with an 8mm if showing flow when not being called for?

the house sat empty for about a year after being built (hence why we think there might have been some deposits creating the need for a power flush per their recommendation). Perhaps they need to come and rebalance?

Still no lights.

Okay check this.  Check that all the actuators on the bottom rail are screwed fully down. They might have been removed during the work and not put back properly.

To do this, turn all zones on and wait a few minutes for them to warm up (they are hot wax devices) and then make sure the big metal ring at the bottom of each actuator is screwed fully down.

4 hours ago, ChristyJH said:

interesting problem. House/floor felt quite warm today but none of the downstairs stats were calling for heat. Checked upstairs and one stat in far bathroom was call for heat. Checked manifold upstairs and down stairs and noticed flow rates on all of them, hence the warmth. Turned off the one stat calling for heat. All then stopped. Turned one back on and all came on.

The one you turned back on.. was that the same stat (eg the far bathroom stat) or a different one? Eg it it just one particular stat that turns everything on incorrectly or more than one?

Are the stats wireless or networked in some way? Could it be some sort of pairing issue? Eg they all reset to the same address after a power cut?

Edited by Temp