Nordan vs Rationel

V22

Hi All

I am new to this forum reading all your valuable inputs so far.

Myself and a friend of mine are prep-ing for building 2 identical properties in the South East.

Would like to listen to your thoughts/comparisons on alu-timber clad windows between Nordan(nTech) and Rationel(Aura plus) ranges?

Both are triple glazed with Nordan's u-value little higher than Rationel. Rationel is costlier by ~15% though.

We had nailed down to these 2 brands by dropping a dozen of other German, Nordic and east European brands so far - on various parameters.

Any personal experiences with both the brands would help mainly in longevity, aesthetics, durability, after-sales etc.,

TIA

We have these Rationel windows.  Lots of them.   Lots of fixed panels plus some of their window doors.  And their exterior doors x 2.

They are excellent.  I have attached a pic during recent snow.  Couldn’t tell I was cold outside, temperature wise.  And we don’t have a vestibule.

I did look at Nordan liked them but the Rationel beading etc was less ornate more streamlined.  Didn’t get a quote just went for Rationel & pleased I did.    

B434096C-58A2-4DE6-ADB7-3D74DF73B48E.thumb.jpeg.76cb4b66847115c9278ca6c40b1c24ea.jpeg59F5D5F6-E6B7-4938-A430-861422A21DEB.thumb.jpeg.4006bd9e7f1181b11bc815df53c31ea7.jpeg

• Like 2

Another happy Rationel customer here.  It was an easier decision for me because of the 6 companies I got quotes from (including Nordan) Rationel were the cheapest and only Internorm, at twice the price, offered better U values than Rationel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bozza said:

We have these Rationel windows.  Lots of them.   Lots of fixed panels plus some of their window doors.  And their exterior doors x 2.

They are excellent.  I have attached a pic during recent snow.  Couldn’t tell I was cold outside, temperature wise.  And we don’t have a vestibule.

I did look at Nordan liked them but the Rationel beading etc was less ornate more streamlined.  Didn’t get a quote just went for Rationel & pleased I did.    

B434096C-58A2-4DE6-ADB7-3D74DF73B48E.thumb.jpeg.76cb4b66847115c9278ca6c40b1c24ea.jpeg59F5D5F6-E6B7-4938-A430-861422A21DEB.thumb.jpeg.4006bd9e7f1181b11bc815df53c31ea7.jpeg

These are stunning..

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

Another happy Rationel customer here.  It was an easier decision for me because of the 6 companies I got quotes from (including Nordan) Rationel were the cheapest and only Internorm, at twice the price, offered better U values than Rationel.

Alright - Thanks..our internorm quotes were costlier as well - as expected...for some reason Nordan was the cheapest, may be because of their nTech range and not nTech Passive range..

13 hours ago, Bozza said:

@bozza would you mind posting a close up of where the floor meets the window on those? We're having a debate about that for our own Rationel windows and joiner is talking about beads and sills to finish the edge that we don't like the sound of. 

Many thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ralph said:

@bozza would you mind posting a close up of where the floor meets the window on those? We're having a debate about that for our own Rationel windows and joiner is talking about beads and sills to finish the edge that we don't like the sound of. 

Many thanks.

Sure no problem attached below with /without bead so you can see both.

I see you are in Angus.  You’re welcome to come & see mine, when travel is allowed.54569B60-1D33-454B-9C07-D51F8C4B3EB0.thumb.jpeg.09dcae715ebaeb2ff2b8b2d4a2e9db86.jpegF2D52AD7-34D5-449F-817E-45E7568B8532.thumb.jpeg.0e9a275c9b0815687e48f2547fc65317.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bozza said:

Sure no problem attached below with /without bead so you can see both.

I see you are in Angus.  You’re welcome to come & see mine, when travel is allowed.54569B60-1D33-454B-9C07-D51F8C4B3EB0.thumb.jpeg.09dcae715ebaeb2ff2b8b2d4a2e9db86.jpegF2D52AD7-34D5-449F-817E-45E7568B8532.thumb.jpeg.0e9a275c9b0815687e48f2547fc65317.jpeg

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the offer, very kind of you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, V22 said:

Does anyone have sliding patio doors from rationel? I'm keen trying to find if the slider slow down before hitting the frame when closing? 

To be honest I've not noticed if they slow down but you would have to be in a a hell of a mood and built like a brick sh*thouse to slam them open. They triple glazed ones we have are very heavy although they do open and glide nicely. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, V22 said:

Does anyone have sliding patio doors from rationel? I'm keen trying to find if the slider slow down before hitting the frame when closing? 

We have a rationel sliding door and I've not noticed it slowing down.  I've not noticed it being a problem though and it does need to be firmly closed for the handle locking mechanism to work (seems to pull the door into its seals which I like as a feature and haven't come across before).

• Like 1

The internal handle is long (presumably to allow for the door to be pulled into the seals as above) and getting the doors moving initially can be awkward when opening from the inside. I think a recessed finger grip as it has on the outside would have been helpful. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

@Bozza We are looking at going with MBC who offer supply and install of Rationel windows as part of the package. Your windows and doors look gorgeous! When you say 'window doors', what do you mean? I can't see anything in the Rationel range that looks like a window that opens like a door...

On 19/01/2024 at 18:18, Flossy1234 said:

@Bozza We are looking at going with MBC who offer supply and install of Rationel windows as part of the package. Your windows and doors look gorgeous! When you say 'window doors', what do you mean? I can't see anything in the Rationel range that looks like a window that opens like a door...

https://rationel.co.uk/doors/casement-doors/

this is the link @Flossy1234  

so they are outward opening doors that from the outside look like full height windows and match their normal windows.   (with no exterior lock etc).  So you can have what looks from the exterior full height windows but function as doors.  Word of warning though be wary the mechanism that locks them into a fixed open position isn’t robust enough for heavy wind conditions.

if you look at my profile pic the identical 4 x full height windows are these window doors.

we remain delighted with the performance of our windows.