Expansion vessel trouble.

ProDave

At our rental house, tenant has reported seeing water dripping through the tundish, so time to investigate

250L Telford unvented tank, the one with the expansion vessel fitted inside the top of the cylinder. i think it's an 18L expansion vessel.

The expansion vessel was replaced in April 2020 because the previous one had rusted through.  The new one is of the type where you can unscrew a flange on the bottom so in theory you can just replace the bladder if it has failed. It was all working fine in April.

So I go armed with my pressure gauge and bicycle pump.

Put gauge on vessel, reads 0.

Put pump on vessel and try to pump, pump is pumping into a dead stop.

Push on Schröder valve pin with a screwdriver, no air comes out.

There is some charge in the vessel but I can neither read what it is or pump it up.  What is going on.

Obviously I will try the plumbers merchant where it came from, but although I have the date and price I paid in my accounts, I have lost the receipt, but i could probably track down a credit card statement showing the payment.  But knowing how awkward some people can be I bet they say no receipt, no warranty.

In the mean time I thought I would look up the cost of a replacement bladder.  Can't find anyone listing one, tried searching for expansion vessel bladder and expansion vessel diaphragm,  So is it just a myth that you can replace them and does this mean yet another replacement expansion vessel?

Anyone experienced what appears to be a "stuck valve" on these?

You will struggle to pump it up with water pressure on the system. Turn the water off, open a hot tap and then try again. 

You can strip the schraeder down using a valve key from a bike shop but beware that there may be pressure behind it  so do it slowly. 

Yes I had let the water pressure off, that's how I know there is still some pressure in the vessel as the water ran for a bit before stopping, though not 18 litres worth of water.

I can only assume a faulty valve.  To be honest it does not look like a "normal" schraeder valve, it looks to be a more chunky brass boss that it's made of.

So there is some pressure in it but pushing the pin does not let any air out, so if I were asked to guess someone forgot to drill a hole in the assembly somewhere.

i will commence battle with the plumbers merchant on Monday, they were not open today.