Price Increases

Laurence737

Hi Everyone, 

We are starting the major part of our build/renovation late April, however our builder has informed us that his suppliers have indicated that they expect a significant increase in the cost of building materials (particularly timber and insulation).

He has suggested that we bulk purchase the materials we require and store them, this is equating to around £17k in materials, he proposed we do it in chunks of £5k orders to maintain trust.

Has anybody else got any experience in this? Obviously we are a bit hesitant to put up this money before work actually starts.  So any advice or comments on this would be greatly appreciated ??

Seems that many people/businesses are saying costs will increase but i cant see why, my company imports everything from Europe and we are predicting price reductions to customers as machines are costing less to us now

If you have somewhere secure to store them, you will be better off buying the materials now for sure, but the price rises are a yearly occurence, not a new thing, and its never been a huge rise. How much you will save, only time will tell.

If storage is an issue, and they risk being weather damaged, stolen or something, then its probably not worth the risk IMO

Just now, Laurence737 said:

We have the space to store them securely which is fine, our builder told us his suppliers are expecting a price rise of around 10-12%?

Thats probably a bit top heavy but depends on product.

Take a look here: https://www.jewson.co.uk/medias/00505-99-Price-increase-Poster-A5.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8NDIyMzV8YXBwbGljYXRpb24vcGRmfGhhMC9oOGMvODk0MDEzNzMxNjM4Mi8wMDUwNS05OSBQcmljZSBpbmNyZWFzZSBQb3N0ZXIgQTUucGRmfGIwOWVkM2ZhMWQ3NmMwNDMwYTZjMzJjNjcwMDhiZTIxOTY0OTliN2E1NDFjNDRhNTVjNzdjYjU0N2NhMmIzNzA

https://www.jewson.co.uk/supplier-updates

Same here I’ve just ordered a new tipper trailer 

Three months wait I’ve just been informed that there will be at least 10% added to the cost 

Do I still want it

Ive already paid the vat as a deposit 

Some of it is Europe some is COVID 

Some is jumping on the band wagon 

2 hours ago, Laurence737 said:

Hi Everyone, 

We are starting the major part of our build/renovation late April, however our builder has informed us that his suppliers have indicated that they expect a significant increase in the cost of building materials (particularly timber and insulation).

He has suggested that we bulk purchase the materials we require and store them, this is equating to around £17k in materials, he proposed we do it in chunks of £5k orders to maintain trust.

Has anybody else got any experience in this? Obviously we are a bit hesitant to put up this money before work actually starts.  So any advice or comments on this would be greatly appreciated ??

Price have started already and we have notification of more due.

Circa 12% for insulation and circa 7.5% for Timber

• Thanks 1