Engineered Wood Flooring Float or Glue?

revelation

We are getting closer to fitting our flooring, we have Caberdek board on the first floor and the loft.  We are looking to put down engineered wood flooring on-top.  We have wet underfloor heating below and we're looking to float the flooring rather than glue it.  Firstly is that a bad idea?   If we go ahead with this method I was looking at using an underlay to help with sound deadening etc...   Would an underlay of say 2mm interfere with the heat from the underfloor heating?   Are theyre any underlays that anyone had had good experiences with?

• 2 months later...
On 17/02/2021 at 03:48, revelation said:

We are getting closer to fitting our flooring, we have Caberdek board on the first floor and the loft.  We are looking to put down engineered wood flooring on-top.  We have wet underfloor heating below and we're looking to float the flooring rather than glue it.  Firstly is that a bad idea?   If we go ahead with this method I was looking at using an underlay to help with sound deadening etc...   Would an underlay of say 2mm interfere with the heat from the underfloor heating?   Are theyre any underlays that anyone had had good experiences with?

I was advised by Cellecta, the company supplying our extruded polysterene UFH boards that anything you put down between that and the finished floor would slow down the heat transfer time. Engineered wood is already going to slow down the responsiveness so if you are going down that route then definitely avoid slowing it down further. Just put a 6mm layer of rubber matting, such as the one shown here, underneath the UFH boards. That will still absorb sound from impact of footsteps, without compromising your heating. If you don't have space for 6mm of rubber, they also do a thinner cork version, but I've not tried that.